Sunday, January 4, 2009

Matrix Fail

So maybe I'm looking for it, but it certainly seems to me we're getting pretty short of comforting illusions around here. The big nasty coal sludge that burst out of its concealment in Tennessee recently (video linked on grrl+dog) like the Creature from the Black Lagoon is a reminder that coal sequestration as it is practiced now is not too functional. At This is Reality, the opinion seems to be that clean coal mostly exists as a public relations tactic for the coal industry, and in fact the evidence as she stands seems to support this. Whether the President-elect will change his mind about this "technology" remains to be seen.

In other news of the harsh light of reality, an  article by Matthew Parris (found on Andrew Sullivan's blog) considers that possibly the current President merely hastened the end of the American delusion, and that Obama's job may be to help We the People adjust to our changed circumstances. As Parris says, who better than a Brit to comment on fading empire. On Art Scatter, the American Tall Tale is considered from the point of view of the public's ready belief in the larger-than-life appetites of Diamond Jim Brady. The post goes on to examine how free Americans have been with their credulity recently to more harmful effect.

Edit 18 hours after publication: I thought this was clear, but two of the comments have made me think I need to be clearer: I do not believe Obama is a superhero who will save us (I think we have to be awake ourselves in order to do this), and I do not believe that clean coal exists as viable technology. 

14 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Have you heard about the website "I thought Obama would get me laid" ??

So many expectations, whoa there fella! The Matrix is not real!

Buckle your seatbelt and keep making art. We're in for a big, crazy, bumpy ride.

ArtSparker said...

Um, okay, I was trying to get some irony in there too...yes, I have noticed that many people have Obama confused with their boyfriend or Dad, except better-looking and with more power. On the other hand, I do hope he will look at the facts for clean coal.

lilaphase said...

On a lighter note . . .

The clown stick was placed in Erlangen, Germany. I posted a picture on January 3.

Sorry the photo quality isn't great, but we had fun with it!!!

Woman in a Window said...

I think we all need to hold onto our hats for a new way to market the world. Unfortunately it is that, a marketing. We just can't seem to help ourselves. Silly people.

(thanks for coming my way. you've an interesting house.)

ThomasLB said...

I voted for Nader.

I think that Obama basically has a pro-corporate Republican agenda- and so far, he's done nothing to persuade me otherwise.

As for "clean coal," well, if someone dumps a ton of manure on your yard one day, and the next day only dumps thee-quarters of a ton, that's not the same as cleaning it up.

jude said...

i have been practicing free-falling in preparation for the big one.

lettuce said...

good rant

i can't believe that we, over here, seem to be heading towards more, new, nuclear power stations...

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

Hi! I havent written in a while... thanks for the NY Tiems article...got it today! I look forward to reading it.

That Grand Lake place is beautiful...I really love the large sign that mostl ikely lights up in the back. I wonder what he is advocating for now?

Tammie Lee's stick #9...WOW. She lives in the coolest place ever.

Resolve: reminds me of Mary Poppins!

Happy New Year~~~

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

hi again...per your comments & my post, sports aren't my forte either, but neither are politics. any comments from me would be seen as superficial and lame brained.... Ill stick with economics. Nevertheless, I like what you are sayin!

grrl+dog said...

..ha ha..just in case you missed th irony and the point... I like the 25 word or less abstract at the end of your rant.

Since us westerners are in dire need of a pantheon, we look to movie stars and politicians to swwep down from mt Olympus to intercede on our behalf.

In Australia our pollies are far too ugly to ever invite that kind of thought. Thank god, I cant imagine falling to my knees to pray for great Kev to help me. (our prime minister.)

grrl+dog said...

oh yeah..


and there IS a matrix.

We're living in it.

What there isn't is a spoon.

Frith said...

MORE LIKE ARTIST FAIL

Mike Qian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gary said...

Congratulations on your noteworthy blog.

I very much enjoyed the creativity and depth of insight in the comments.

Keep up the good work.

I invite you to visit my site at garyross.ca.

Have a healthy and prosperous 2009.

Gary