Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Genuine Regency Vase

Here is one of the items on my mosaic website, I thought it was in keeping with yesterday's post. This is the text regarding its provenance:

This exceptional vase was made by Herman Wedgwood in 1816 and graced Windsor Castle until 1819, when the afflicted monarch George III broke it in a fit of crankiness. With skill and perseverance the pieces were retrieved from the Royal china dump, brought to the United States, and reassembled.

"You can scarcely see the joins"
                   ---HRH Queen Elizabeth the II              

9 comments:

Indrani said...

Art piece and the story, both exceptional!

grrl+dog said...

.... an dinside resides a genie, who when rubbed up the wronfg way will turn you into a packet of chocolate biscuits.

ThomasLB said...

There's a Royal China Dump? Royal pottery shards are not allowed to mingle with commoner's pottery shards?

bindu said...

That's incredible!

ArtSparker said...

grrl- In New York they say "If you believe that, I've got a bridge over here I can sell you" (in reference to the Brooklyn Bridge.

But bindu - it's true!

(Well, it should be)

herhimnbryn said...

Love this ( well, I would wouldn't I?).

J.G. said...

This picture takes my breath away. The colors are incredible.

Rohzi E. said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. Why is it that I can only discover such beauty in PICTURES and never in person? : - (

lettuce said...

wow, that is gorgeous!

sadly Wedgewood is one of the victims of the recession
:-[