Friday, May 22, 2009

Alice in Wonderland/The Croquet Game

The chief difficulty Alice found at first was in managing her flamingo; she succeeded in getting its body tucked away, comfortably enough, under her arm, with its legs hanging down, but generally, just as she had got its neck nicely straightened out, and was going to give the hedgehog a blow with its head, it would twist itself round and look up into her face with such a puzzled expression that she could not help bursting out laughing; and when she had got its head down, and was going to begin again, it was very provoking to find that the hedgehog had unrolled itself , and was in the act of crawling away...

It seems to me that Lewis Carroll may have found social intercourse with other adults like playing croquet with living animals, as opposed to the cosy predictability of mathematical formulas. Click on photo to get a closer look at the foreground hedgehog.

I have used this as my illustration friday entry this week, as the prompt for this week is cracked, and all the inhabitants of Wonderland are. 

12 comments:

krisztina maros said...

i love your theatre with these illustrations! i could imagine how fun project it would be :)

thank you for your idea about the book by Lane Smith! i haven't known yet but it seems so original and interesting (i've found it on the web). i have a book about the friendship between little red riding hood and the wolf by Agnese Baruzzi & Sandro Natalini it's a fantastic book too, full of humour :)

Coreopsis said...

I love the Alice and bird drawing, and the contrast between it and the green green grass. I couldn't much make heads or tails of the hedgehog, though, even when I clicked on the picture to make it larger. It blends too much in with the spikiness of the grass.

I too love the theater of these illustrations, and I'm starting to think I might need to read Lewis Carroll....

ArtSparker said...

Krisztina -

I just had an experience related to your blog post, while out, and will be linking to it in the enxt day or so.

C- I'm experimenting. I like whatever those little things are, and am feeling my way as i go. Thanks for your honest feedback. I will be asking for more feedback (editing advice) from readers of this blog in the next couple of days.

paulahewitt said...

are the hedgehogs little prickly seed pods? they look sort of familiar but i dont know what they are called. i am enjoying your Alice in wonderland series a lot.

Isabel said...

I am a big fan of Alice in Wonderland and loooove the way you paired the precious text with your drawings. I have to show these to my daughter, who also caught my "bug" and loves the book ;)

Bee said...

I'm loving this Alice series. Cracked, indeed! Such a perfect bit of May whimsy. (We are still looking for hedgehogs here in England.)

ArtSparker said...

Bee -

Do you have to import the flamingos from Florida?

Kerry said...

I really like this Alice series. Perfect little drawings/cutouts, all doing their thing like little actors. Where do they sleep at night?

Coffee Messiah said...

Catching up on your posts - delightful ; )

Slow going on the scanning busy-ness but will email you when I get to the shake-spear I mentioned!

Cheers!

ArtSparker said...

Thanks, Michael. Looking forward to your Shakespearean work .

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Oh you've done it again!!! You have stolen my heart with your charming pieces. You ROCK! You really do! I'm going back to stare somemore!!!

deeol said...

I have to say that I've really been enjoying this series.