Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Alice in Wonderland/The Duchess

Even the Duchess sneezed occasionally; and as for the baby, it was sneezing and howling alternatively, without a moment's pause.

The above was photographed in the Tenderloin National Forest (see left), which exists in Cohen alley in San Francisco's Tenderloin district, one of the poorer areas of the city. Its designation is real, though the sign is not standard issue. The structure the Duchess is sitting in is one of the a piece by Cameron Hockenson made for an exhibit of Shelters in the alley a couple of years back. A few blocks away in the Civic Center, Patrick Dougherty has installed alterations to an alley of sycamores (see below). Finally, if you must have more sticks before Thursday (when I will have some up on the Tinytheatre blog), here is a link to a youtube video of Nick Caves's Soundsuits.


11 comments:

Laurie Cannon said...

Years ago, when I was working at SF's Clay Theatre on Fillmore, there was a garrulous, brain-addled old woman who used to stop in to chat. Her hair was what the trees remind me of - a bird's nest.

Today's drawing and installation are lovely and inspired.

Eric Barclay said...

Really great post-- love your illustrations and I've never seen anything quite like the sycamore sculptures.

grrl+dog said...

I recall stumbling through the tenderloin on my travels and definitely feeling like I wasn't in Kansas anymore...

Chrisy said...

This looks like a perfect place for some alice theatre...and the photo of the sycamore installation is fabulous!

Jocelyn said...

Your art makes me want to hug you.

I'd expect you to shove me away, of course, what with me being a stranger and all.

rosedale's 4 head said...

L WAY OL...I don't know why the crying baby gave me a jolt of laughing and I love Alice...just standing looking like 'oh dear.'

great great work!

yvette said...

wow

Don said...

The alice theatre is so cool.

justdoodleit said...

Your choice of backgrounds make the wonderland seem quite real and plausible :)

bindu said...

The illustrations and the location are great! The little forest is so amazing.

Squirrel said...

I had to laugh when I saw Tenderloin National Forest! I love the idea, the forest, and the sign. A good DIY project for kids of all ages everywhere! Thank you for the links.