Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cousin Louise

Meet Louise. If she looks familiar, that's because she is the cousin of the mermaid I posted about here last week. For a chance to win that same mermaid, leave a comment on the Tiny Theatre blog, where I have just now posted some News of the Tiny. Louise herself is in my Etsy shop.

Edit: Lucky people, I have found my very long poem about Cousin Louise and her disturbing effect on a nice bourgeois family. Here are just two stanzas about her arrival for a visit:

The front door bell began to din,
Cousin Louise came gliding in.
Tall and slender, with a veil,
Louise was just a trifle pale.

Her eyes resembled two dark oceans,
Her head had certain snaky motions.
She whispered with an air of stealth,
"I trust you're all in perfect heath?"

11 comments:

Laurie Cannon said...

This is reminding me of E.A. Poe
and I don't even read him.

Your prose brings to mind
the fainting lady in those eery
"Mystery" opening titles on KQED.

And Aubrey Beardsley.

Am I labeling too much here? Kick me!

ArtSparker said...

The Mystery titles were by Edward Gorey, and there is definitely Edward Gorey influence in this.

enihsnusruoymai said...

She took her dainty stockings off
And said, you know, I'm not a toff
But when I see your state of dress
It makes me think you like to fress!

Bee said...

Did the poem come first? Intriguing . . . I want to hear more!

ger said...

Have you considered making that poem into a film script... (with A. Jolie as Louise...)?!

Rick said...

Marilyn Manson called an said he wants his outfit back... ;-)

Indrani said...

Why just two stanzas, lets have all of it. :)

ArtSparker said...

I'm glad you all find it entertaining (or at least an excuse to exercise your own rapier-like wit).

Thanks for the compliment, Indrani, but I think my typing hand might get tired. It's something like 27 stanzas. I'll print more of it if I do a paper people story about it.

rosedale's 4 head said...

this is so great! she reminds of my Auntie Belle Graham...

no really, that's her name...

Nemo said...

I'd love to see the rest of the poem, Susan.

ArtSparker said...

Indrani & Nemo -

I think I will put it on the schedule for winter, it seems like a winter time kind of thing. then I can illustrate it at a leisurely pace. Thanks for the encouragement!