Friday, May 1, 2009

Dream Hierarchy

Who's in charge?* Alice ponders the question at the end of Through the Looking Glass - Did she dream of the Red King, or was the Red King dreaming of her (in line with the Chinese philosopher who asked the same question about a butterfly)? The Kalihari Bushmen say "There is a dream dreaming us." Pleasant dreams to you, in any case. Monday will see the beginning of two weeks of Alice in Wonderland here.

*This is a response to the Illustration Friday prompt "Hierarchy".

P.S. Power to the people, right on.

Edit: Oh, I meant to mention - any resemblance of the Red king to Cary Grant around the eyes is due to a lot of drawing of Cary Grant recently, and no reference for the Red King in the book.

16 comments:

flawsnall said...

i would love to live inside your head just for one day...i'd come back, but wow, what i journey i'd have...

i like this one too---so creative!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Okay, I'm in love!!! this is fabulously delicious with whimsicalness!!! OMG I love it! How did you do that???? YOU ROCK honestly! YOU DO.

Wildeve said...

This is so much fun! My computer has been impossible for about a week- what shenanigans you've been up to! I'm glad I am back to see them!

justdoodleit said...

Looks like the king is humming "Dream a Little Dream of Me" to Alice :) Those violet flowers are cute. Is the wonderland your garden?

j. said...

aw, how could one not love the dear old cary grant?

i've been watching so many old movies with him in it.
quite a dashing man he was.


love this post.
rather magical.

Caroline said...

This is a clever set up and I do love the colour of those flowers - oh, and I see Cary Grant there too!!!

Tomás Serrano said...

You´ve got wonderful results with this style seting your "real" drawings in the real places.

Tessa said...

How very beautiful. And I love the bushman proverb, too.

Two whole weeks of Alice? I can't wait!

Jen said...

This is so creative. I love the drawings mixed with the real flowers!

grrl+dog said...

bummer... I was hoping for two weeks of Hitchcock.

Lynne Chapman said...

What an interesting approach to the topic.

aimee said...

such an imaginative piece! i love it!

Jocelyn said...

Must continue the fawning praise; this series is my crazy favorite.

Squirrel said...

This is seriously beautiful, fun and meaningful to me. It's like a snapshot from my childhood when my older sister would walk me over to the Botanic gardens where we'd hang out all day ~ lounging in petals with her reading "Alice" to me, and getting me to memorize bits of it.

Susan Faye said...

Very dreamy and a bit romantic and wildly philosophical all at the same time! It's fun to visit the other side of the looking glass once in a while...

Yuri said...

really interesting piece! I like the mix of ink cutouts and real flowers.