Monday, June 29, 2009

North Beach/Sugar Mountain

Photo taken around sunset in San Francisco's North Beach. Note the moon-faced barker at left, looking as if he just stepped out of a Damon Runyan story, and off in the distance on the right, the Bay Bridge.  The Hungry I Club is of course where Lenny Bruce performed, now dedicated like the rest of this block to places where you can see disrobed ladies (euphemism to deflect spam from comments). The anti-Sugar Mountain song, for me, is Ry Cooder's Down in Hollywood.

I've been spending a bit of time in San Francisco photographing the little people. Going back to the Filbert Street steps in the morning to photograph a few things in a different light. As well as being the site of Dark Passage, the Filbert Street steps are one block over from the street where the wild parrots of Telegraph Hill live.

The explosive conclusion of LOST tomorrow.

8 comments:

grrl+dog said...

Isn't it funny how every town has the street of the disrobed ladies...

Caio Fernandes said...

of the 3 last posts , hard to say wich one i like more ........... that one of the shadow , yes .
nice to see diferent pictures of frisco . my mother's favorite city on earth . but i never went there , my only references are jack kerouak 's books and ginsberg , some movies , and i think Jello Biafra , lives there . the dead kenneds's vocalist .one of my favorites .oh and this movie with shean pean . this is what i feel weird , my mother , since i was 5 years old say's me : oh caio , san francisco is your face , you should live there , you are going to love .... the city always had this gay reference , so i asked :why ? and she said : because . this is my mother , the womam the make me learn all the village people songs before i leared to speak .this is the reason , even hetero , i a artist and not a footbal player .i guess .
thanks mom .
have fun in frisco Susan , honey .love ya !!!

mum said...

Cool, all of it - from the barker to the parrots but also the setting and the strange glow of neons in daylight.
Cooder is great.

Now we have to wait all the way till tomorrow for the conclusion of Lost? Oh, your tomorrow is my today - yay!

Jocelyn said...

I am left hoping the explosive conclusion includes a moon-faced barker.

Your literary grounding is so phenomenal, btw.

yvette said...

What a beautiful piece of writing...ry cooder..i love him..

notmassproduced said...

u sound like ur having great fun.

rosedale's 4 head said...

hey! great pics. my lil sis lives just a hop skip and a jump from this...you're just a step away from her swanky digs...

ger said...

This reminds me fondly of the weeks I spent in San Francisco some years ago... Over the times, I´ve often lived near disrobed-ladies-areas - I like the neons - my favorite one at the moment is that of the HankyPanky Bar...)