Tuesday, July 14, 2009

North Beach Denizen

Here's my version of Jack Kerouac in the alley (renamed Jack Kerouac Alley) by historic watering spot Vesuvio's. This post is dedicated to the comical, tragical, restlessly inventive Caio Fernandes of Mein Welt, who makes the blogosphere a much livelier place. 
   I had noticed that one blog had mentioned this one as a gathering place for artists: it would be wonderful to do that more deliberately, to make it a resource for inspiration, so that if visual people need an creative boost this would be a reliable source. I am mulling over having Sunday be a gallery day - so I will continue to show Alices on that day, but I would also like to engage people who draw. What I'm thinking of is temporary urban stuff - drawing or collaging on sidewalks or walls (not to the point of getting arrested or anything). I'll post some examples tomorrow. I may also post photos from art events or galleries which seem inspiring to me on that day .  Okay, many more thoughts but I'm going to stop there. Below is a photo of the wall of Vesuvio's, it's where you can see the tourist taking a picture of the flower basket in the top photo.

12 comments:

tony said...

Sounds An Interesting Idea Susan.
Jack Rules !

notmassproduced said...

fab ideas

Caio Fernandes said...

hello pretty one !!! so i come here today ... as some one that want's nothing ... just rotine .and you give me this kiss in the heart !!!!!!!!
by the way . Jack Kerouac is great on this post , i wish he could see this .
the painting is good !!! and fun .there are so much things happening there .
what can i say ?!! now i am going to spend my day sweemig , or swiming , or some thing in the water like that ... around the hours of the day !!!!you have this talent to make me happy . it so nice to see the picture of your profile smiling ... it make me smile too .

mouse (aka kimy) said...

great wall...enjoyed clicking to enlarge both pics there is so much in each....

Jasmine said...

I really enjoy seeing the backdrops to your pictures. You live in a beautiful town. Is it near San Francisco? My geography knowledge of America is poor.

I love the painted wall. Stencil graffiti is really big in England. The most famous example is Banksy who I love but do secretly think he's a bit of a sell out.

Subvertising was very big when I lived in Brighton. B-right-on is very politically active so it was not uncommon to see bill boards with the adverts subtly changed to reveal the true nature of the company behind the product. It was all quite clever in the same vein as The Guardians 'missing consonants' sketches. Its amazing the shift in meaning the addition or removal of one letter/word can produce.

Looking forward to seeing your street art gallery.

ArtSparker said...

Jasmine - I am across the bay from San francisco, it is less expensive to live here. Oakland is famous for one thing only, the fact that Gertrude Stein said "There is no there there".

ArtSparker said...

Caio -

Always a pleasure.

Kate Hanke said...

What great ideas!

Alina Chau said...

Fun mix medium pieces!!

California Girl said...

Jack's not a bad lookin' dude. actually, I've never read Kerouac and I'm an English major. But, I loved British Lit & early 20th Century American Lit and avoided the beat poets and writers like the plague. some day...

Coffee Messiah said...

City Lights is right there and hope you made a visit.

Ferlinghetti was still going upstairs in his office, and if you made it up there (before I left) he'd usually say hello to you if he made contact. ; )

ma grande folle de soeur said...

Walking along the night beach,
-Military music
On the boulevard.

(from Jack the Kerouac himself )