Friday, August 7, 2009

Imaptience/Rebecca #4

Maxim displays impatience (illustration friday prompt) with the narrator when she wears a costume identical to that of the previous Mrs. DeWinter. This is the quotidian woman's fear of wearing the same outfit as another woman blown up to operatic proportions. In the novel, the heroine completes her passage into Real Woman hood by becoming complicit in concealing the fact that her husband is a murderer - in the movie, it softened, so that the Rebecca just kind of bumped her head when she fell over. I have another rumination for Saturday, Sunday...hmmm. The Third Man starts on Monday.

13 comments:

Karin said...

What a fun take on the prompt. Rebecca is one of my favorite books!

ger said...

Did you do it in a shop? (or isn´t that a price tag dangling from the chair...?) Looking forward to The Third Man...

notmassproduced said...

i love the way her skirt trails

Caio Fernandes said...

beautiful scene.

claudine hellmuth said...

love how you combine the drawings with real life. so fun!!

Bee said...

I never thought of it like that!

I like the way you've framed this one -- with the poor nameless second wife being faceless, too.

Tom said...

outstanding...Mr. Suit seems a bit stiff.

Jasmine said...

A very interesting photo. Brass candlesticks always remind me of Cluedo (or as my friend mischeviously renamed it -Rude'O').

The dress looks wonderful. It reminds me of my Nanna who used to have brass bells in the shape of women wearing crinoline dresses and fancy bonnets. I loved ringing those bells as a child.

justdoodleit said...

Nice one. Since you are doing Hitchcock, I'd be curious to see your take on Psycho :)

California Girl said...

AS: In the book, Maxim is the true killer? I honestly can't remember if it's only implied in the movie or what. I thought she threw herself off a cliff.

I liked Judith Anderson as I mentioned before. Great scenery in this movie.

Have you considered "Gone With the Wind"? Lots of cool costumes. Scarlett is so evocative and Rhett is just, well, Rhett. Nobody like him. Ashley would make a good forlorn looking character in pen and ink. And there's Belle Watling, Mammy, Prissy, Mealy Mouth Melanie, etc.

Dream Painter said...

Love the details on her skirt and also the story, great fun!

Titus said...

Whole series stunning, and I love the way your work returns me to the original more visually attentive.

Susan Faye said...

Oh the horror of wearing the same frock as the first wife! Unthinkable!