Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Eiger Sanction vs. Infamous

No, there is not much excuse for comparing them, other than that I just watched one of these with my father and the other on my own. The Eiger Sanction is extremely silly (I found out on the web that it is meant to be silly). It gives short shrift to women, African- and Native Americans, gays and small dogs, with special contempt reserved for an evil albino. Question I am left with : how did Miles Bellow get gorgeous George off drugs?

Infamous is weirdly like a mashup of Entertainment Tonight and a story out of Dostoyevsky. Toby Jones' Capote is wonderful and the film is quite moving. The murderer Perry White oddly resembles a Clint Eastwood character in his buttoned-upness/lashing out in violence. And Truman Capote is frequently pictured in a red room - the albino appears in a red room in Eiger sanction, they're both hothouse environments. It poses numerous questions about the redemptive and destructive qualities of story-telling (the film, not the red room).

Anyone else seen either of these?

7 comments:

tony said...

Not seen either Susan.
I dont understand , you make ' short shrift to women, African- and Native Americans, gays and small dogs, with special contempt reserved for an evil albino' Sound like a Bad Thing......

ArtSparker said...

Tony, heh, you might want to get some popcorn in, in that case...

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I have seen "Infamous" and much prefer it to "Capote". Toby Keith is much better suited to play Truman. I loved if only for the red rooms and seeing Diana Vreeland do the twist.

ArtSparker said...

JT- I feel a weird combination of curiosity and disinclination to see the other film, having seen this one.

Charles Gramlich said...

Saw the Eiger Sanction many years ago. I remember it being OK but scarcely remember much more than it was clint climbing a mountain.

Totalfeckineejit said...

I saw 'Lassie come home' once.

Titus said...

We found The Eiger Sanction on video lurking in the living room a while back, and watched it. I can remember it being quite a famous film. I cannot now work out why.

Not seen Infamous, but would like to.