Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Home is Where

Some say a feeling more than a place, yeah. What is the fascination, I wonder, with buckets of bolts in space- Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Farscape, The Tardis - creaking, asthmatic machines in a huge indifferent universe. No matter how decrepit, it feels safe inside them, somehow more homelike than the surrounding of home. I've said it before, how we all long for escape but to be welcomed safely back, in the words of T.S. Eliot:

...to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

Stories to be told around a campfire in a distant universe?

Ed: Jasmine at Nature's Whispers brought this petition about the sale of forests in England to my attention. I signed it using my sister's English post code as it rejected my zip code. Yes, I'm agin it - I want to see those trees next time I visit.

More about kinds of home:

the watercats

junk thief

Oh, I just have to put in a link to the firefly theme, cause Joss Whedon is holding a gun to my head (metaphorically speaking):

firefly

9 comments:

Joe Beale said...

Hehe, and people always want what they can't have but when they get it, they want what they used to have... hence the wanderings followed by the homesickness, they the desire to escape once again...

Happy New Year!

Fresca said...

The appeal of buckets o' space rust?
For me, they feel like how we move through life--along the lines of how Ram Dass says our bodies are 10-fingered space suits in which we navigate this life.

The Enterprise is another thing altogether--offering some illusion of control, I'd say. Also nice, sometimes.

Els said...

So, is this lovely tree-chair lifting of ... or ...landing safely again ???
(happy new year)

Clowncar said...

reminds me of furniture turning to forest in Where the Wild Things Are.

ah, Firefly. miss that show. miss Dollhouse too, though it wasn't nearly as good. it, at least, lasted more tan one season.

Megan said...

I'm sure the Boscobel Oak will be exempt though, right?

I will click on 't.

susan christensen said...

boy, i do love firefly episodes - esp. the blending of cultures evident in language and fashion. Your tree chair is a delicate statement - nice!

Celeste Bergin said...

"to arrive where we started"---those words match the image very well :)

Kaetlyn Wilcox said...

I love this drawing:)


Oh, I still mourn the cancellation of firefly. Weekly, if not daily. Just reading the word gives me a little pang!

Totalfeckineejit said...

We have lit a fire evey day this cold winter.Home iswhere the hearth is.
I love your chair going back , not to it's roots, but it's branches.