Sunday, April 10, 2011

Character, tarnish and dirt

A little patina adds a certain something for fans of vintage, but not I think for this particular item, in fact its state makes it a bit horrific. I have just put it in to soak (one part bleach to 10 parts water), will take a photo in an hour and post here - I should add that I have a more or less knackered paintbrush I am using to encourage the dirt to leave. This is quite a nice color, I will not be overdyeing it.

Yup. If I had only been cleaning the plastic, I would have made a first attempt with white vinegar, But the crochet has lightened up quite a bit. I'm going to try leaving a little sink product with bleach on the little discolored areas which are left to see if that takes care of the remaining problem areas.

4 comments:

Jasmine said...

It will be interesting to see the makeover xJ

Jasmine said...

Didn't see the 2nd picture first time around. It has cleaned up nicely hasn't it. What will you do with it?

ArtSparker said...

Hi Jasmine-

I'm going to put it on etsy, opening a second shop. The first one has not been a success, to say the short version - I'm going to see if vintage stuff does better.

susan christensen said...

What are the dimensions of this interesting piece? Sure cleaned up well.