Thursday, April 7, 2011

Kitchen Sink Alchemy #2

 Another thing you can do on your stove top...dye plastic stuff*. I am thinking of opening a second etsy store,just for fun, partly with normal vintage stuff and partly with Frankensteinian experiments.
This is just regular old Rit Dye.

Some of the things melt in the boiling water.

After this was taken out, I noted there was a tiny light bulb under the plastic flames. I wondered if there was (and still is) a battery inside, but Mina tells me probably not because otherwise it would have exploded (her sister , who is now an engineer, did this when she was 11). 

So, if you want to try this at home, with or without small children, check for batteries first.

And that's my advice for the day!

*Results will vary, buttons are easy,ditto artificial pearls, but otherwise rubbery stuff dyes better than hard plastic. But not knowing is part of the fun.

21 comments:

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Oh, those are amazing! Your techniques remind me of Joseph Cornell.

Totalfeckineejit said...

ImlovinngthehouseandisthataVanwall?

kathrin said...

hallo my dear, have a great time, big hugh Kathrin

ger said...

Frankensteinian is the word... - looks quite fascinating - but watch out, please - even chemist´s daughters might experience feelings of faintness after inhaling boiling battery fumes...

ArtSparker said...

Ger- Yes, I was lucky. Mina's sister did in fact cause an explosion in her mother's kitchen when she experimented, apparently not the only time she caused this to happen.

Titus said...

Ooh. I wonder if you can actually dye small children...?

ArtSparker said...

Titus- Enthusiasm should be moderated - I got mild chemical burns on the ends of my fingers because I could not be bothered to wear protective rubber gloves.

Eva said...

You are ruthless.

ArtSparker said...

Eva- obsessive, anyway.

yvette said...

you wild woman with wild dangerous experiments.....
beware of painters decease

melted hug

Charles Gramlich said...

The melted version looks pretty cool.

Els said...

Love the purple Barbie heads!
You're really an alchemist !

Celeste Bergin said...

I do love the melty house

the dear Zé said...

deliciously creepy in that plate...

(take a look of my other place, I think you gonna like it: http://the-dear-hunter.blogspot.com/)

cheers

Jasmine said...

I like the sound of your frankensteinian creations. Love your mosaic plate you gifted to me last year. Are you still through with mosaic? I am sure they would add a wonderful element to your Franky creations. xxJ

mouse (aka kimy) said...

omg i've been away from the theater for way too long.

love catching up, but must say the purple people did scare me a bit.......

still dreaming of spring....

grrl + dog said...

this is fantastic - much better than spray paint that I normally use.

Clowncar said...

and now we have a use for the disturbing number of naked, abandoned, muddt and often limbless dolls strewn about our house and yard.

if we pursue this, I'll post pix as well.

urbandon (Don Pezzano) said...

Brilliant! I'm keen to try this.

lettuce said...

ha! love these!

Tomás Serrano said...

I love specially the result in the house's front...