Tuesday, February 21, 2012

unmaking while making



I inherited this disintegrating embroidery years ago from a deceased relative, while I acquired the mirror frame with no glass in my travels a week or so ago. These things came together as things will. They came apart too - the old fabric tearing and fraying as I sewed it around the armature.


Now I know from the comments I get people mostly look at the pictures here. But I'll just say that after I made this it occurred to me that the piece is something of an echo from what Andrew Sullivan has been posting about recently, the use of euphemism to distance ourselves from our own mortality. With the distance seems to come a loss of empathy and morality.  Anyway, in case you are interested, it was these three posts in combination that I recalled:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/02/hawks-for-obama.html

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/02/would-you-eat-brain-dead-meat.html

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/02/the-vocabulary-of-organ-donation.html

4 comments:

the dear Zé said...

"miror miror on the wall"...

chears

ger said...

I´m one of those who prefer to look and easily tire of reading - but what I see is won-der-ful... - glad I came + so could partly participate in your recents travels (towards mortality...;)

grrl + dog said...

yes I am looking at the pictures - wonderul way you worked the pieces around the shape...

Cobalt Violet said...

Sometime I think people actually don't believe they are going to die. It's also very hidden away in hospitals, unlike the past when people died at home in bed and in was just a part of life. I did hospice volunteering in my early 30s. One of the best things I ever did. Put life in sharp focus by dealing with mortality.

Anyway, love the embroidered "head." :)