Friday, November 23, 2012

Biography of a Mechanical Bee

This is what remains of a mechanical bee toy which I had listed on etsy, with the warning that is someone did not purchase it, I would make something out of it myself. This is one of many toys Made in Japan after WW2, when Japan had an advantageous agreement with the United States for export. They were tireless in their ingenuity for making small items, some toys and some china figurines and other novelties for export. I took this apart and found another part of the story of a recovering post war economy, see below.

This shows the inside, where a soda or juice can has been turned inside out to form the body of the bee. This is as moving, I think, as any archeological discovery.

One of the things I made was this Queen Bee Tiara, which I have for sale in my Etsy shop. I used the body in an assemblage which is one of the pieces in my show at Paxton Gate's Curiosities for Kids in San Francisco, the reception is tomorrow- stop by if you are in the neighborhood!

5 comments:

deborah from collagewhirl said...

Good luck on your show--it sounds very interesting. The tiara made me smile :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, that's interesting. I would have had no idea. How ingenious of them.

jude said...

ha!

SarahJane said...

Very nice. Interesting background, too.

Karin på FOX said...

Eternal recycling!
Nice thing!