Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wide World


Parts of a story....

I bought this very horizontal little frame at the Oakland Museum White Elephant sale, someone had framed what was evidently an original quote (second photo):

Though life is too short,
               it can be
                 ever so wide!

I was touched by the sentiment.

My brother in law passed on a book called A Sense of the World to me, it is about the Victorian Naval Officer, a man who became known as "The Blind Traveller", he circumnavigated the globe solo and wrote about it in travel books.

Since my brother in law is a sailor, I made him this little shadowbox with the 19th century ship, while keeping the original quote on the back. I neglected to mention that he and my sister were visiting on their own circumnavigation of the globe, which is quite a bit easier these days.

It only occurred to me afterward how these things connect.


7 comments:

Susan Christensen said...

Mmmm, I like that quote, and the story - stories - that can be imagined in your shadow box of the sea and the Sailor.
-sus

Charles Gramlich said...

The strange little connections in life are so much a part of the fun.

Fresca said...

Nice!
It reminds me of floaty pens---the ones with little scenes on the pen barrel and some object that floats in oil across the scene.

ArtSparker said...

Thanks, guys.

Fresca, and the wor(l)ds that can flow out of a little pen- the more metaphors, the merrier in this Blakean miniverse.

junkthief said...

A great quote. Or maybe it's a case of Living Life in Widescreen.

ArtSparker said...

Greg, I liked collaborating with someone I'll never know, but who I think I might have liked.

Cobalt Violet said...

Yes, I love that there is a collaboration, over time with someone you haven't met and passing that one in a meaningful gift. I love the image of a ship ... the symbol of adventure and somehow moving forward or making a pilgrimage.