Monday, August 22, 2011

Ahab or the Whale: Which are You?


Two items married by me and listed just now in my etsy shop. Well, you know...if I'd found a china albatross instead of a white china whale, the story might have gone differently.

Aye, aye! It was that accursed white whale that razed me; made a poor pegging lubber of me for ever and a day!... I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up. And this is what ye have shipped for, men! to chase that white whale on both sides of land, and over all sides of earth, till he spouts black blood and rolls fin out.

---from Moby Dick, Herman Melville

I don't know about you, but some days I feel like Ahab, and some days I feel like the whale.

9 comments:

California Girl said...

Love the images. Had to read the book in college. It almost killed me. Soooo long, boring & full of allegories I didn't want to know. Whereas, your art is entertaining and whimsical.

ArtSparker said...

CG - I can't remember who referred to Moby Dick as the flatulent American Bible, but I vividly recall that someone did.

Titus said...

Aaargh! Greatest book ever written. That I've read.
Loving the artwork. Me? Always Ahab. I wish.

'There was an infinity of firmest fortitude, a determinate unsurrenderable wilfulness, in the fixed and fearless, forward dedication of that glance. Not a word he spoke; nor did his officers say aught to him; though by all their minutest gestures and expressions, they plainly showed the uneasy, if not painful, consciousness of being under a troubled master-eye. And not only that, but moody stricken Ahab stood before them with a crucifixion in his face; in all the nameless regal overbearing dignity of some mighty woe.'

'...a crucifixion in his face;' + Melville = genius. Q.E.D.

ArtSparker said...

Titus-

I plead agnosticism.

Shane MacGowan, on the other hand...

yvette said...

I could'nt finish moby dick...

your imagination always hit me in the heart.

Titus said...

Aaargh!

Charles Gramlich said...

It took me about 2 years to read Moby Dick. Slow, slow, slow, with some occassional brilliance.

grrl + dog said...

right now, I am one of those gooby bits trailing from a whale's mouth....

California Girl said...

I think your friend Titus just made my case.