Sunday, January 16, 2011

Felt buttons (crafty)!

Or beads for stringing, or items for applique/decoration...take some felted wool from an old sweater (or you could try it with unfelted). Cut sets of three circles (or you could cut flower shapes). Draw yarn with a knot on one end through a stack of two only (important!), then put the third one on top, hiding the knot. draw the yarn through the center, back up, and bisect the stack, divide that in half again, and then in half again to make this eight-segmented vaguely Buddhist sort of button. be sure to keep the yarn tight to bunch it all together. I used felted sweater wool, but I think I will put these through the wash to mash the materials together further. This is a fun little craft  project which takes little room and time. The wool came from the bottom of a long sweater which had developed holes in it- I may replace the original buttons with these, or I may make a necklace.

16 comments:

urbandon (Don Pezzano) said...

Thanks for the cool idea- like the look of these.

Totalfeckineejit said...

You is now,ArtCrafter.

Titus said...

Had to read the instructions twice (is it possible not to be able to think in 3D? Or just a needle and thread aversion?) I reckon I've got it. And I reckon I'm going to have a go/try. Coolio!

ArtSparker said...

Thanks, guys.

Titus- starting on Xmas presrnts early, good for you. When I came home from where I had been making these (Church of Craft in downtown Oakland), I found a holy (!) orange wool sweater at the drop spot (I live at a street intersection where people abandon all manner of things). I think it will become a neckpiece.

grrl + dog said...

necklace

necklace

necklace!

ArtSparker said...

grrl- heh.

Charles Gramlich said...

I never would have thought of it, for sure. :)

patricia said...

nice idea ;)!

steve said...

Very cool project Susan. Thanks for sharing this. I know my wife will appreciate this, now that she's getting out of retail in a couple of days, and is getting back into arts and crafting. She loves this kind of stuff.

ArtSparker said...

I'll bet, Charles. Thanks, Patricia. Steve, there are more ideas to come.

ger said...

Well, well, a tutorial... - you will end up in the fashion business one day, I told you already...;)

Clowncar said...

those are cool, though my mind tends to veer away when I see unfamiliar terms like unfelted wool.

we made bead at christmas using tiny paper triangles, toothpicks, and nail polish.

Jasmine said...

Haha! Finally you are felting. great! :) :) :) :))))))))

lettuce said...

oh i do love felty recycling, these look great

yvette said...

necklace, necklace, necklace


knuf

Titus said...

Borrowing the picture for a link! Hope that's OK.