Monday, September 6, 2010

Recommended...

...having a yard sale if you're in that sort of neighborhood. My neighbor and I met nice young couples, chatted with the dotty old lady who walks around –and around– the block, and tried to persuade cynics of the veracity of our signage ("Napoleon commissioned Michelangelo to make this for his Palace at Versailles"). A man on his way to the racetrack bought Mr. Moneybags (above) for luck ("He's made me rich, now it's your turn - $1.00. Cheap!"). The green thing in the front is some sort of demonic-looking green pig, not sure what it's meant to be for, although I invited opinion.

The high point came when I spotted a woman across the street with her little dog running around - a few weeks ago, I was outside talking to neighbor Carlos and we saw this same dog get run over, its pelvis was shattered. It appeared to be very lively and in good spirits. The woman gave me her card so Carlos could call and hear the story.


Above, from a dress my neighbor had out - I am going to incorporate this as a dandy's wild cravat in one of my painted photos. I think I need to leave his face showing, he looks like Johnny Depp - you'll see. It is reminiscent of Eva's Tatzelwurm, I think - the pattern, not the the photo.

19 comments:

Jasmine said...

Your sale looks interesting. Glad you are rich now :) Good news about the dog, I'd be beside myself if I saw a dog crunched. Yikes. Looking forward to seeing Johnny Depp in your Cravatt.

Charles Gramlich said...

surely it's not the same dog? My eyebrows are raised high.

Celeste Bergin said...

now THAT looks like an fantastic sale--I think the wry notes would be very helpful. I am glad for the happy ending to the dog story.

Eva said...

Lucky visitors who get whimsical comments along with the items, even if they don't buy! Love the paisley swirl.

ArtSparker said...

Charles- It is. It tried to follow me across the street yesterday and was admonished.

Eva- I had a feeling you'd like that.

Giulia said...

Oh I love that paisley. Look forward to your take...Johnny in a cravat. Oh yes.

notmassproduced said...

ooooooh i love a good sale :o)

Titus said...

I'd have snapped up the Michelangelo. Bit tempted by the demonic pig as well. Such things can be very useful during sustained acorn attacks.
I can see the Tatzelwurm!

tabs4959 said...

I love yard sales. Lots of nice people and weird stuff!!!

Fresca said...

I want that Virgin Mary! (I think that white statue is a BVM, yes?) Did it sell?

Having a garage sale is a swell way to meet the neighbors, I agree. Yours looks like a real treat!

ArtSparker said...

tabs- as long as the PEOPLE aren't weird...

Yes, Fresca, the small white statue is a virgin Mary. I tried to sell the other one as an ancient Greek statue, but they didn't go for it.

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Oh, it must have been hard to part with some of those items! I spent a small fortune yesterday at the Alemany flea market, but now I wish I went to your sale.

ArtSparker said...

L de B- Lambie Pie is still available, I'll give you a heads up when we do the next one.

grrl + dog said...

look at all that enticing chinaware to make assemblages with!

Totalfeckineejit said...

I'd have given you TWO dollars for Mr Money bags.(If I had them)

yvette said...

meeting people who lives around you...great
the green thing isn't it a "spaarvarken" to put money in to save?

Kaetlyn Wilcox said...

This gives me much inspiration for my own upcoming yard sale.

And huzzah for the resurrected pup!

Emma J said...

Just the kind of yard sale I like to walk through - and the meta-attributions - genius!

California Girl said...

like the kravat on Johnny Depp idea and, I'm with Emma, I'd go to this yard sale too.