Wednesday, December 15, 2010

W.I.P. (Christmas gift for a tea drinker)

In a friend's flower shop recently, I noted that she was keeping her teapot warm with a towel. Tea cosies are simple to make - just make a semi-circular paper pattern with the spout and handle marked. Then cut out the lining and the front a bit larger. I have ironed interfacing to the lining and will do so with the back side of the front also. See where I have ironed the back of the lining to overlap the interfacing? the front and lining should be sewed together, then both halves are sewed together remembering to leave the gaps for the handle and the spout. A great D.I.Y. project for a winter evening (unless you crave efficiency, it's also a nice one for hand-sewing)- I will post a photo of the finished item tomorrow.

13 comments:

Wendy said...

Those are adorable. It looks like the one is made of re-purposed corduroy, which I imagine must add an extra measure of warmth :)

Shayna Prentice said...

I love these, Susan!

susan christensen said...

A charming gift idea, and I have lots of tea drinkers on my list. Thank you, Artsparker. Great way to use my scrapbag fabrics.

jess said...

You never cease to amaze me. The corduroy must be soo soft.
Please, post pictures of the one handed sewing!

ArtSparker said...

Jess- I used both hands - just no machine

Eva said...

These are cute! I wish we needed one. We make an extract that is allowed to go cold.

moonlight said...

I might try to sew one of them!

kathrin said...

nice idea, I wish you a nice chrismas time, big hugh Kathrin

Celeste Bergin said...

I love them all...but especially the one that says "TEA". Very charming...they would warm up any atmosphere

Chris David Richards said...

Is it wrong that I thought they were hats? I know people who would gladly wear these on their head. Although, maybe not the one that says 'TEA' on it. Bit of a giveaway.

ArtSparker said...

Chris-

Ya, mon.

Titus said...

Ooh, how fabby is that! And almost achievable for a needle-novice like me.
Got a lovely knitted one with pheasant feathers for mother-in-law for Christmas.

grrl + dog said...

a thoughtful gift the reminisces chats over a pot..

and I like the recycled jeans..