Monday, December 1, 2008

Rather Random

Here is a photo of the lovely Olive, my friend Katherine's dog, wearing a winter garment I made for her. I like to think that it is the sort of thing Dame Edith Head might have designed for Audrey Hepburn if Audrey Hepburn had been a small dog. But possibly this is a conceited thought (see under: Wind in the Willows, Toad's song).

I like the Gothic stuff at this time of year. Just wanted to say, for those who thought Pan's Labyrinth was a great movie but would never consider seeing Hellboy2 - just go ahead and rent it. The commentary by Guillermo Del Toro (AKA Papa Bear) is worth the price of admission in itself, and the film is quite beautiful. Apparently he does all the monster voices himself, which is exactly what I would do in his position. 

This time of year gives me a taste for the Gothic stuff, so from my tiny bully pulpit, I'm going to list some favorites in case anyone is looking.

I don't know what the connection is between bloggers and dogs, but a lot of you seem to have canine companions. This woman wrote one book 11 years ago. She breaks your heart, but it's lovely.

The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas 
Described as "chick lit for nerds" by one reviewer. Quite a yarn.

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman
The first two books are the best. If William Blake had written young adult fiction...

To quote the Ramones, "Hey Daddy-o, I don't wanna go down/in the basement".
James told one of these stories to a roomful of Cambridge dons every Christmas.

7 comments:

C. L. DeMedeiros said...

What a lovely pooch!!!Olivia.

Anyway,
my friend Dalia
who gave the hair for that piece
you saw today,
she show up for classes in December.
She was happy I finely used for something

Nao said...

This dog, is one lucky and very stylin' pooch~

What fabulous outfit, I think she knows it.

matt dawson said...

Not conceited at all...ah Mr. Toad, one of my absolute favourites! Thanks for the HellBoy2 tip, I loved Pan's L so I will be sure to give it a go. Have you ever looked at Mike Mignolia's original Hellboy graphic novels...? Even if you aren't a comic fan you might well appreciate his colour and line work. I bought The End of Mr. Y as much for the cover and design as for anything else. It got off to a great start... very unusual and engrossing. I have to say I was a little let down by the conclusion, still, an interesting book. GREAT turkey by the way!

Reya Mellicker said...

Nice book recommendations, and I love your thought, that if Audrey Hepburn had been a small dog, she would have worn your creations.

Love the way you think!

Stay warm!

kyklops said...

Um, the sign makes it look a bit like I can eat Lucy (the dog?) for eight bucks. No way, right? ;-)

Our Corgi has a couple of similar outfits. I'd order a Boston Bruins motiff if it were, um, permitted (!), but I guess it's Kitty-chan and the like from here on...

ArtSparker said...

Matt - you remind me so much a friend who presented me with a copy of Part One of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

Kyklops, the dog is Olive - but I did think the juxtaposition was interesting when I took the shot.

Maldito Columpio said...

Great photo!
Cool dog!