Wednesday, December 24, 2008

St. George and the Dragon

Here's a very old illustration I did as a card many years ago. I suppose what appeals to me about the time of year is an English/European world that exists in literature in which pagan motifs were incorporated into the newly dominant paradigm. One example is the chorus of the Holly and the Ivy, the original being:

O the rising of the sun,
The running of the deer,
The playing of the merrier gods,
Sweet singing all in the choir.

Merrier gods being changed to "merry organ" to fit it in to the new religion. 

But I love the borderlands.

7 comments:

Avid Reader said...

Love it!

Avid Reader said...

are they drinking mead, mulled wine or hot cocoa?

Nao said...

This is quite possibly one of my favorites!

I love it !

kyklops said...

It's already Christmas here in Japan, so please have a happy one!

grrl+dog said...

not to mention the holly and ivy motif which represent the dying god etc... you just cant kill those pesky pagans.

Son of Incogneato said...

Fantastic; I love it.

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

I love the stars in the dark sky....very cool.