Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Sense of Place


The shot at left shows Bowden, a walkway down the hill from where I live. This is the walkway at the foot of which I took the green man photo yesterday. Past the tree you see a fence. This fronts a yard in which a man named Norm, who is quite old, lives in the little wooden structure with the blue door. He takes good car of the the squirrels in the area, who have no hesitation in approaching and looking up at you as if they are about to speak. Apparently he cut a little section of the fence out so they could come and go through a squirrel-sized doorway.

I've been looking at some blogs lately whose authors post photographs as well as history of their areas/travels in their country. Here are just three, in New York , in Paris and in Bangalore . Turns out there is a center for this, as I found out from the last link, That's my World , for any armchair travellers that are feeling the need to get away.

12 comments:

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I love the various walkways and stairways of San Francisco (and the book "Stairway Walks of San Francisco". Those links of others' neighborhoods looks promising, and I look forward to checking it out. Those are some of my favorite types of blogs, those that give you a glimpse into the small events of any given plac.

Indrani said...

So thoughtful of Norm. We need to coexist.

Thanks Susan for linking mine. :)

lettuce said...

thats an intruiging little blue door - i'd like to peek inside

notmassproduced said...

wow - that looks amazing! I'd love to see inside too. It reminds me of a guy I knew who lived in a house of cans... i must dig out my photos......and buy the way he must feed those squirrels well - they're huge!!

parisa mahmoudi said...

So thanks to introduce these links!
And a big thanks for mine!!! :)
We are so happy to have snow here!

Nao said...

There is something so very enchanted about Norm, his little house, and his Squirrels.

Adam said...

Thanks for the link.

That's a rather fat and very contented looking squirrel. In England, they are known as the nasty squirrels who came and drove out the native red ones!

herhimnbryn said...

Love this walkway and it's inhabitants

bindu said...

The squirrels certainly look well-fed!

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing-Looks like Norm is very eccentric and doesn't much care if others don't accept his ways. Way to go Norm for helping out the squirrels and doing what he wants to. Came to your site through Bindu and I will visit again.

Love your life,
Leslie

Cergie said...

This is weird : the squirrel, seems huge and belonging to the same picture than the tiny one.
He is rather fat : he must be accustomed being fed
I like this place.

Tomás Serrano said...

Beautiful picture. I like the composition with the colored doors.