Thursday, April 1, 2010

Kubla Khan

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree
Where Alph, the sacred river ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
–Kubla Khan, Samuel Taylor Coleridge

This was photographed at Academy of Science, also drawn there without reference so I 'm going to use that as an excuse for the Vasco Da Gama-ish appearance of the great Kahn. Coleridge's poem was evidently based on Marco Polo's account of Kublai's hunting grounds/park attached to his palace. I will be imagining some incidents from his life this month. Most of them will be the altered photos I have been showing.

10 comments:

steve said...

Love it - it has an exotic feel going on here!

Eva said...

Kubla Khan was a disciple of the Karmapa, one of the great masters of Tibetan Buddhism. His present incarnation visited the USA last year.

Cláudia said...

Susan, the dear reminded me Analu Prestes' Pasárgada!

ArtSparker said...

Cláudia- I think Coleridge's imagining of Kubla Khan's park and Pasárgada are very similar remote lands of heart's desire.

Steve said...

One of my fave poems not least because it highlights how one must never let the everyday interfere with great works of art...

Fresca said...

This reminds me, April is National Poetry Month!

Titus said...

Who will play the man from Porlock?
I'm looking forward to this. Creation from a poem about creation.

Tammie Lee said...

I wonder if he sees that creature up on the rock?!

ArtSparker said...

Tammie - According to Marco Polo, Kublai often rode with a leopard on the back of his horse, which chased down deer with which which Kublai fed his flacons.

tabs4959 said...

Very nice!!!