Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Under the Garden

An illustration for Graham Greene's story/novella "Under the Garden", which appears in the story collection "A Sense of Reality." I'm hoping to have a little discussion here about this in two weeks' time, in any case I'll do another illustration at that time. It's a curious story, blurring the distinction between dream, childhood trauma and inspiration. What drives some of us to look beyond ordinary reality, to search? Is it a curse or a blessing of sorts? The novella was also reissued by Penguin as its own tiny book, it is available on Amazon if you are interested in joining in ...

Distributing the collagey bits today, will be contacting a couple of people.

11 comments:

Shayna Prentice said...

An upside down world of manicured beauty untouched by color and measured by the ruler of blue water.
(a silly first impression) The story sounds fascinating, based on your intriguing illustration. And, oh, that question about what drives some of us to "look beyond" ... mostly a "blessing of sorts", I'll say. But not always easy.

parisa mahmoudi said...

Well,I didn't read that story but I like your illo.Hope you find the thing that you want.

Totalfeckineejit said...

A curse or a blessing?.Definitely.
Wonderfully strange collage.

Jasmine said...

I like the upside down garden. Babies see everything upside down until the vision settles down and alters to the way we are used to seeig now. Also, the sepia colour is just right for the upside down vista, reminds me of those antique cameras.

rosedale's 4head said...

there's something charmingly scary about this one...

Titus said...

Ooh, that's scary! I think it's the stitch line and the sheer scale of the garden...
Looking forward to this.

aleph said...

Last night I was re-reading "under the garden" and trying hard to imagine how could it possibly be illustrated, but didn´t thought in terms of collage and now it seems to me a very appropiate way. This image is very inspiring and inspired, Susan. I should say looking beyond is both a curse and a blessing. A blessed curse, a cursed blessing, perhaps.

Rick said...

I'm going to have to track this down. Between your presentation and discussion, you've convinced me it is an intriguing work.

Fiona said...

I love the way you get me to think. I will track this book down and would love to join in.

Tom said...

i see the book is in our library system...sounds interesting, i'm on it.

AJ "Rohzi" Ellington said...

You've just inadvertently given me another reading suggestion. Thanks. ;-)