Saturday, May 8, 2010

Satisfying

The man in this old photo was sporting mutton chop whiskers much like those Michael Redgrave had as the caterpillar in the BBC Alice of 1966. In that scene, Alice talks to the Caterpillar as he gazes through a wooden model of I think St. Paul's Cathedral, which may have suggested to me enclosing this person's face inside pen and ink architecture. I've had it for a couple of months, waiting for a final element.

It's oddly satisfying, then, that I found the discarded shell of a champagne cork this morning, which completes the caterpillar's cocoon when it is sewed on. I believe the photograph is originally from Norway. I may display these by attaching them to branches - it would give the option have having their beautiful backs available to look at.

Edit: Karin tells me the photo is from Sweden- someone must have brought this ancestor with them long ago.