Saturday, May 8, 2010

Satisfying

The man in this old photo was sporting mutton chop whiskers much like those Michael Redgrave had as the caterpillar in the BBC Alice of 1966. In that scene, Alice talks to the Caterpillar as he gazes through a wooden model of I think St. Paul's Cathedral, which may have suggested to me enclosing this person's face inside pen and ink architecture. I've had it for a couple of months, waiting for a final element.

It's oddly satisfying, then, that I found the discarded shell of a champagne cork this morning, which completes the caterpillar's cocoon when it is sewed on. I believe the photograph is originally from Norway. I may display these by attaching them to branches - it would give the option have having their beautiful backs available to look at.

Edit: Karin tells me the photo is from Sweden- someone must have brought this ancestor with them long ago.

8 comments:

Steve said...

Few things in life are as satisfying as a good mutton chop...

Karin på FOX said...

I like the artwork very much. The melacholy face of the man trapped in your sketching.
Your photo comes from Sweden, as Örebro is a town about 200 km from Stockholm.

ArtSparker said...

Thank you, Karin, I will edit.

Shayna Prentice said...

Your 'pen and ink architecture' is wonderful, Susan - and the champagne cork shell makes the perfect cocoon - I can just see them attached to branches - like visual windchimes!

Cláudia said...

Oh, Susan, your post made me go on a nostalgic journey to a far away place in my memory:

"Though her words are simple and few,
Listen, listen, she's calling to you:
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."

When I lived in England my then very young son got in love with the film Mary Poppins. I remember doing all the housework while listening to it. Luis watched the film various times a day for more than a month...

Sweet memories!

Thank you!

ArtSparker said...

Steve- a transcendent (and very satisfying) pun.

Shayna- Love the "visual windchimes"

C- I remember with my nephews the charm of repetition. I once read them a book set in Paris with a thick French accent, they insisted I read it again, "Properly, this time". I tortured Rick a few weeks back by leaving him a youtube link to "The Old Bamboo".

Celeste Bergin said...

well this is just beautiful, suspended in the air.

Titus said...

Thanks to Claudia I was taken to that song, which is the essence of melancholy and certainly the high-point of the film for me.

As to the artwork, loved it, and I see tongues...