Friday, July 30, 2010

Tears of a Legend (W.I.P.)

Normally I don't show work in progress, but this fitted in with the prompt "artificial" on Illustration Friday. The original photo is a Hollywood studio photo by John Reed, it may be Lana Turner (Edit:Titus has now identified this actress as Evelyn Keyes. But wait...according to California Girl, it's Gloria Grahame...). I've been working on this on and off for a couple of months, I don't know whether I exactly like it, I got kind of captivated by the idea that the tears of a star/goddess would be larger than life. It may eventually get larger too, and more of the original should disappear.

Edit: Ooh...I could do a bombshell shape...No, not the hourglass thing, I mean like a bomb with the fins at the top. Thanks again, Saint Terry, for the use of the amazing saw.

11 comments:

tony said...

Lana Turner meets Elton John (in a nice way)?

California Girl said...

Eye catching Susan ;P Not Lana Turner but I can't figure out who she is.

ArtSparker said...

Thanks, CG. I don't know if John Reed took photos of the big stars, the photo I found online by him was of someone I haven't heard of.

Titus said...

No, not Lana; Ann Sothern's mouth but the rest doesn't quite fit; oh, I know that face but it won't come.

Great to see a work in progress, love the outline of the masque to come.

Eva said...

--- embroidered tears??

ArtSparker said...

Eva- Yup, it's true.

roberto said...

Very good idea, Susan!

Totalfeckineejit said...

I like the face mask but the embroidered tears unerve me, there's something of an ageing Golden Retrievers danglers about them.

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely has a weird vibe.

Celeste Bergin said...

I like the question: Are a goddesses tears "bigger" than others? I read an account once of JFK Jr ending his jog by jogging into the paparazzi van that had been parked next to his jog route (there just for him). Jr sat down on a bench inside the van and said "Hey you guys, do you really think this is a good career?--I don't, I think it is bad for you to do work like this"
I love that story.

Celeste Bergin said...

p.s. I like seeing the in-progress!