Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Do you know this film?

I will edit the answer in later today - this is from the beginning. Also later today, an illustration challenge.

Outside the little caravan in the rain, the cyclops men tap on the window with a candy apple to attract Denree, the little brother, as One (Ron Perlman) gazes sadly at his late employer (Ticky Holgado). The beginning of a sequence of adventures that ends with the destruction of one family, of mad scientists and clones, and the finding of a sister for little brother. Amazing film, a lovely dystopia - it's the City of Lost Children (La Cité des Enfants Perdus), directed by Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who first collaborated on Delicatessen.

Needless to say, I wish my name were Ticky Holgado.

Probably will do some more of these next week just because I find the film inspiring.

22 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

nop , i don't think so .

Jenny said...

Looks like a new social realistic film about "Leningrad Cowboys" directed by Ken Loach.

ArtSparker said...

Jenny- the character in the foreground is meant to be of Russian origin. However, this is something only a geek who watched the director's commentary would know.

Cláudia said...

Totally clueless, all I can relate to the picture is Kramer vs Kramer (God, how far away I am from the answer!)

femminismo said...

He sort of looks like - oh, the guy from "Beauty and the Beast," the TV series, and "Sons of Anarchy" and ... oh, why can't I think of his name??? Ron Perlman! Hmm. Can it be?

ArtSparker said...

Jeanne- yup. A part of me would be perfectly happy drawing portraits of Ron Perlman and his secret Java man brother Tom Waits.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

can't say. hmmmm red haired actors - eric stoltz, leslie howard, david caruso, red skelton, phillip seymour hoffman....

well to quote claudia haven't a clue!

ArtSparker said...

Mouse - dyed for visual effect.

Bee said...

I like the "visual effect" of the red, but have no idea as to the source.

N_Straight said...

Little Brother... Denree and One.

ArtSparker said...

SU-

As soon as I saw your name in the inbox I knew the secret was out.

Tom said...

Ron Weasly Grows Up. ( a fantasy)

Totalfeckineejit said...

Is it 'The Revenge of The Midget and Giant Twins'

ArtSparker said...

TFE - You may be thinking of Mothra, although the twins were in fact quite small.

Celeste Bergin said...

I have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about, but I like the visual and without a doubt the name "Ticky Holgado".

Ginga Squid said...

So hes not really a proper ginga or Ron Weasley?

mouse (aka kimy) said...

now I totally see ron perlman!! yes, dyed for effect, duh!

that movie has been on my must see list for years!!! I'm going to put a hold on it at the library right now! and cross that sucker off!

ArtSparker said...

Celeste -
There is a link in the post if you want to know more...

Kim - hope you will let me know what you think of the film after you have viewed -

j. said...

lovely, lovely, lovely.

Romanitan Nicolae - Lucrari personale said...

The city of lost children...is one of my favourites movies...

ArtSparker said...

R - Yes, I noticed the song on your blog.

eyetrouble said...

How can this film not have at least 4 billion fans? It's always been one of my topmost personal favorites.