Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Jonathan Cape Collophon

I know that is a faun, but what is it he is carrying? A fruit salad with three antlers sticking out of it? Please advise.

This is on the title page of the slender volume "a Cotswold Village" by J. Arthur Gibbs, which I picked up at a charity bookstore in Exeter. When I say J. Arthur Gibbs is the author, he seems to rely heavily on quoting most of the the verses of "Elegy in a Country Churchyard" and voluminous tracts of Ruskin in between his ruminations on the duties of squires, the evocative qualities of coats of arms and the amusing remarks of village rustics. I did like this description of the hall of an ancient manor house, though.

Portraits of various degrees of indifferent oil painting adorned the walls of the house and staircase. Somebody appeared to have been shooting with a catapult at some of the pictures. One old gentleman had a shot through his nose; and an old fellow with a hat on, over the window, had received a pellet in the right eye.


5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't know what it is but it's cool. Honestly, at first glance I thought it was a frog wearing a weird hat.

Totalfeckineejit said...

That is the head of a tri-horned crusted flaneur.

Eva said...

I feel tempted to see herbs like wormwood in it. A man with goats' legs and a walking stick reminds me of Saturn and related symbols like bitter fruit and herbs. This picture might be a quote from some Renaissance book when many antique symbols were revived.

rosedale's 4head said...

diabolical looking to me...i like the many figures one can make out here.

Tom said...

he's on the Welcome Wagon committee