Sunday, December 20, 2009

Three Wise Guys

These partial little figures were rescued from the ruins of my parents' house which burned in the Berkeley Hills Fire of 1991. Burn marks are visible as dirty knees on the middle figure. They belonged to a set of figures from my mother's childhood she used to get out Christmas, along with with paper houses and some lead reindeer with broken antlers, and a funny old Santa. These were rescued and repaired by me - here comes the instant philosophy - the way some of us graft stuff on in life because what we have to begin with can seem like it needs ...additions. My parents rebuilt, by the way.

14 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

cool stuff .

tony said...

Neat Preservation!

jude said...

perfect

Tom said...

is that a spoon handle for a head? Things come and go, and we rebuild from the ashes of a damaged life. Not many of us go on living a static life, not these days. Also love the tracks of grassy/mossy vegetation in the cracks. Sweet.

Celeste Bergin said...

I'm glad you have the amputated figures and that you augmented them to give them new life. They are treasures for sure!

Ginga Squid said...

Great photo - the light is amazing!

Ribbon said...

beautiful and interesting :)

femminismo said...

Yes, pushing together bits of yesterday to form tomorrows. Thanks for this post.

Cláudia said...

Wonderful and surprising outcomes from a disaster! I am sure they are much wiser now! Second chances can work miracles. See how each head can follow its own, unique and precious course.

I do agree with Ginga - the light is really amazing!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

here's to rebuilding, rescuing and moving onwards and up! alas too many folks who have been stricken by such a tragedy like a house fire do not.

love the play of light and color in the snap!

happy solstice.

AJ "Rohzi" Ellington said...

wow. had I not read the description to this picture, I would have had the wrong perception. When I first saw this, the first thing I said out loud was:

"Oh! Ice cream! How interesting!"

lol

Titus said...

Beautiful, sad and hopeful in one image.

justdoodleit said...

Does the bright light in the BG signify Christmas time for the 3 wise guys?

ArtSparker said...

jdi - Honestly, I've had the three figures for awhile, I just posted them now and titled the post that way because of the time of year.