Thursday, February 5, 2009

DIY anemone costume/lamp enhancer

This is a costume, believe it or not. Poet Laynie Browne wrote a play about the reproduction of sea anemones a few years back (her husband is a marine biologist) for which I did the costumes. Sea anemones can reproduce both sexually and asexually, and this particular kind changed gender in the course of its maturity (I'm going to ask Laynie to review this, because I'm sure I'm not remembering this quite correctly).I asked everybody to wear dark clothes, and for the anemone princesses I made these neckpieces from a wire bent into a circle, with curled pieces on the end for a clasp. I wrapped the wire in yarn, and then attached strips of torn light cloth (I used an old silk shirt from the Goodwill) and yarn. At present this sits around a very boring Ikea floor lamp and makes a nice peach-colored light in the evenings. I'm sure there are probably a hundred household uses for this...what do you think?

Here's what Laynie said:The species in my play, Zoanthina and Zoanthella, were hermaphrodites- and did a big group spawning (or as in the play, orgy). We interpreted the orgy by throwing confetti around as a representation of gametes, if anyone is thinking this is one of THOSE plays.

11 comments:

ThomasLB said...

I wonder if you could square it off and fly it like a box kite. It would look very striking suspended in a breeze.

grrl+dog said...

Well it has to be a tiara for some bit of public sculpture, dont you think?

Peter Breese said...

Very nice, great t-shirt below as well.

Squirrel said...

I bet there's another dancer out there who'd want to wear it! --or you could add a small wind chime to it?

j. said...

lovely!



and the tape will be done and sent by saturday!

i'll just need your address : D

Brendan said...

Two words: cat toy.

(Posted on behalf of the resident feline, who was momentarily intrigued when the image popped up, but who has since resumed foot patrol on the keyboard.)

bindu said...

That's so interesting! Someone mentioned cat toy - so true! Our two cats would attack it and tear it up if we had it hanging somewhere. The color is so pretty.

Indrani said...

Reuse or recycle, that is the best mantra followed. Your post triggers off great ideas. I liked the ones below too.

Eva said...

Before I read the whole post, I wondered if it was worn around the neck or waist, but -- oh, yes, there is the black costume underneath. Okay.

Avid Reader said...

a form hugging black leotard under it would be cool. big black sunglasses and wear it on your head like a crown.

notmassproduced said...

love this