Sunday, February 1, 2009

Singing Tree

So my guerrilla knit-up (see (down)under) is up near where I live. I started out with a piece of tulle and marked it with stitched-on lines of yarn, then I cut the tulle between the yarn and wrapped the strips with Japanese silk (remnants found in a box) and yarn, reinforced with plastic-coated wire (you can bet I never leave a piece of electrical wiring lying on the ground). It was a bit like wrestling snakes, as wrapping the silk with yarn caused the strips to writhe in the direction of the wrapping. The little head on the flower I made some years back, just came across it this morning in my bag of weirdness. Don't throw your heads out!
As you can see, my measurements were not perfect-the tree appears to be wearing stays at the joins.
And here is an arboreal soprano preparing to belt out an aria. Working on this reminded me that I have a D.I.Y. project did a few years back that people might enjoy, I will post about it later this week.

14 comments:

lilaphase said...

I love it. It is reminiscent of some African tribal adornment. Beautiful!

ldlyndond816 said...

You have some really cool pics on your site! Look forward to coming here often. L.D.

jude said...

yes, like one of those african neck brace looking thingies.

Squirrel said...

oooh love the first photo-- makes me want to get out and put some out there... you know that feeling...

I SEW want to do this, but have KNOT learned to knit, I might do something with textiles tho" :)

Balou said...

I just knew you'd have a unique twist to yours! What a perfect model.

j. said...

lovely!!

get zapped said...

A well adorned tree! Lovely idea. What a fun thing to come upon without expecting it.

grrl+dog said...

She would be singing that beautiful song from Tales of Hoffman, the gondola song... as she glides effortlessley through the water...

Truly a non knitter's triumph... wrapper's delight?

he he he... that will be the title of my post...

ArtSparker said...

Grrl - Pun Squad is keeping an eye on you.

Avid Reader said...

really nice looking --some of the best public art is just this.

notmassproduced said...

i can't decide whether the tree has a new necklace or an added rib cage - either way - i like it.

bindu said...

This is so gorgeous! Brilliant idea.

Echo said...

This is delightful, reminding of a mixture of love I have for the use of the written word in art forms. You are using the art form as a natural enhancement, wrapping two things together so to say.
Very nice, I would like to go for a walk and walk past this tree.

3rdEyeMuse said...

FANTASTIC contribution - I love it! & think you just might have lit the fire under my posterior to not wait until the very last second on this one. :)

thanks for the great pics & commentary, too. ~M~