Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Look here

"Look here upon this picture, and on this,
The counterfeit presentment of two brothers.
See what a grace was seated on this brow...
Here is your husband like a mildewed ear..."
        - Hamlet, Act III, Scene IV

It has always seemed to me an awkward stage direction that Hamlet, having just slaughtered Polonius, pulls out two portraits, those of his uncle and father (Okay, so maybe he shoves Gertrude toward them and they are hanging on the wall) . He then proceeds to point out how much better-looking his Dad was than his uncle. So I think I have to do this. I have wired the 19th century photos to my Hamlet figure, then I will have to photograph it turned over to get two oval portrait areas and insert the above likenesses. Have made a lot of progress on the Hamlet, still hoping to find a store that still sells walnuts in the shell for THAT verse. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

j. said...

bonne chance!
(good luck!)

flawsnall said...

clever woman!

Eva said...

Very funny! -- why is it difficult to buy walnuts in a shell? Seasonal shortage?

ArtSparker said...

Eva-

Walnuts In the U.S. now grow without shells inside of plastic bags. Apparently.

I actually found one at the bottom of a bin yesterday...now I must be careful to split it in half exactly.

grrl+dog said...

Yes he comes across weird, but that is how he is supposed to be, being "mad" after all, or simply beside himself, because he seems to be the only one that sees his uncle for the slimebag he is.

Kind of like that scene in Zoolander, where the guy cries out, "can't anyone see this?? I feel like I'm on crazy pills!"

I have much compassion for both Hamlet and that guy.The truth can make you crazy.