Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tiny Men and Scary Women

"North by Northwest" (suggested as source material by Matt Dawson ) comes from the line in Hamlet in which he explains that he is only mad when the wind is "North Northwest".  So what is up with the tiny men in the late fifties? First we had The Incredible Shrinking Man in 1957, followed by The Attack of the Fifty-foot Woman  in 1958 - did the Sixties throw a long shadow into the past, causing anxiety about the coming of the women's liberation movement? North by Northwest was released in 1959, and Cary Grant's character is first mocked by his mother and then expertly manipulated by the character played by Eva Marie Saint.

This may not be the final version of this, ideally I'd like one with a shopping cart coming up behind him. I'm planning a month or so of Hitchcock on the other blog after the conclusion of Hamlet. And of course I need to do one other famous scene from this classic film.

15 comments:

j. said...

wonderful!

flawsnall said...

this is way way too cool! big women are scary...well...all of them except maya angelou...we love her bigness...i dig the hec out of this level...

herhimnbryn said...

Love this. I can hear the N by N soundtrack running through my head now!

Chrisy said...

ooooh little men...i've met a few of those....he he

matt dawson said...

Love it Susan! You've really captured something of Carry Grant's 'elegant awkwardness' (apparently excellent tailoring hid his weirdly proportioned frame and turned him into idol material...). I also love the way you've brought the drawn into the real world... this theme could run and run ... like Carry did in North by North West in fact! ;) Look forward to more Hitch stuff!
PS. ta muchly for the blog plug

Straight_UP said...

Good sense of motion. How are you holding these up... putty, tape?

ger said...

Ha ha. The shadow he casts looks like a woman´s...
PS. Looking forward to more Hitch stuff, too...

ArtSparker said...

Vertigo is a must, I have a feeling Jimmy Stewart my be more difficult than Cary Grant to get right...

Veronica said...

Fantastic!

The Silver Fox said...

What a good-looking guy!

lettuce said...

this will be just brilliant with a shopping trolley!

and looking forward to the "famous scene"

Jocelyn said...

I don't have the right words for the way I love this. This is one of my favorite things, ever.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

love the shadow

justdoodleit said...

Wow! that is an accurate sketch. My first reaction was "Hitchcock!... and where's that plane?" Nice:)

grrl+dog said...

I dont see the curtain coming down on this one just yet.. I want more.. Imagine the bird scene from birds using a tiny Tippi Hedren with that immaculate beehive she sports.