Saturday, August 1, 2009

Containers (Wallace meets Shane)

The maker of catastrophe invents the eye
And through the eye equates ten thousand deaths
With a single well-tempered apricot, or say,
An egg-plant of good air.

- Extracts from Addresses to the Academy of Fine Ideas, Wallace Stevens

Stevens was always trying to get beyond the artificial to the entirety and immediacy of things - and yet his medium was words. How can these invented containers evoke the intimacy of real life? The poet is a trickster or magician - by recombining words in unexpected ways, his hope is to conjure a world out of thin air by sheer startlement.

Here a tower shining bright
Once stood gleaming in the night
Where now there's just the rubble
In the hole...

- White City, Shane MacGowan

Sometimes, only the container is left - the words are the shell for something vanished, or for something that never quite manifested. It's interesting to compare the typically rollicking song as performed with the quiet lyrics (or at least for those of us who are Shane MacGowan fanatics).

15 comments:

Ande said...

Hi Artsparker,

I stumbled upon your blog and am glad I did! Your art lifted my heart. I’ll be a frequent visitor. :)

subtorp77 said...

ArtSparker, tell me you had a hand in making that video! That was great! Tho' I'm not a MacGowan fanatic, I could be persuaded...interesting lyrics.

ArtSparker said...

Sub-video is not mine...I have never been that close to the magnificence of Shane MacGowan's teeth.

mum said...

this is a fascinating post - from the eye in the cup, to the cup itself, to Wallace Stevens, to McGowan.

You've introduced me to The Pogues, by the way. Much enjoying discovering them. Thanks, Susan.

subtorp77 said...

Oh I guessed as much but still; I liked the visuals!

tony said...

.....Sometimes, only the container is left - the words are the shell for something vanished, or for something that never quite manifested..........
Lady.That's Poetry !

rosedale's 4head said...

whoa!

Jasmine said...

You have verse for every occasion! I always enjoy your poetic offerings.

I'm not familiar with Shane McGowan but will check him out.

I was listening to the lyrics of the Tom Waits yesterday and the genius of his 'emotional weather report', made me think of you as I know you like him too.

Caio Fernandes said...

hi Susan , this ost is fantastic . alowing me to dive i litle bit into words .....
and the image is priceless . and i loved to have contact with it now .
thanks for touch my sunset time today .

Jenny said...

Hi Artsparker,

I really enjoy your Tiny Theatre. The name fits perfectly, as your unique blog evokes an animated spellbinding feeling.

Thanks,

Jenny

Eva said...

Dear Susan, thanks for your comment. Your mail hasn't arrived yet, maybe lost in my absence... Could you please send it again?

grrl + dog said...

a shell, or maybe a container for ideas or pictures..

Totalfeckineejit said...

Het ArtSparker, I've often thought that a lot of really fine MacG lyrics are, if not wasted, then at least lost.Sometimes the beauty is released by others reinterpreting the songs.(Christy Moore,Sinead O'connor,Damien Dempsey, for example)Have you ever done an illustration of the great toothless one? Now I'd love to see that!

ArtSparker said...

TFE - about that illustration, I'd do it for the ghost of a smile.

Totalfeckineejit said...

you may have to settle for the smile of a ghost