Monday, August 17, 2009

Rear Window #1

L.B. "Jeff" Jeffries is much more interested in the goings-on of the neighbors than he is in his would-be fiancée Lisa. He only seems to come alive when seeing things he shouldn't, and when his neighbor's wife disappears one night, he is most intrigued by the neighbor's careful wrapping of a saw and an enormous knife in newspaper. My greatest respect for Jimmy Stewart as an actor is for his expression when he realizes he will be able to watch Lisa through his telephoto lens digging up (they think) Mrs. Thorvald's head from the garden - wonderfully, creepily avid, as opposed to his merely tolerating her presence on his lap.

The film was based on a Cornell Woolrich (the best of the Noir fiction writers, to my mind) story, which gives Hitchcock a very strong framework to work within/against.

Please note: Carlos, my neighbor who plays Thorvald for the photo, wishes to state that he is not a murderer. He does not even own the saw, which has red acrylic paint on it. 

14 comments:

Tom said...

That's right Carlos: Deny deny deny! Excellant portrait of Jimmy...he's the tops.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Great film, great pic of Jimbo in the wheelchair.looking forward to the next one :)

Jasmine said...

Now this film I know well. You have drawn Jimmy well, I can almost hear him. I'm glad Carlos isn't really a murderer :)

femminismo said...

Oh, I can hear them too! /Oh, no, Lisa, you're not going over there!/ Oh, Jeff, darling! Don't be like that. Nothing's going to happen. Love your drawing. Can't tell you how I wait to see what film you're doing. I just gasped when I saw "Rear Window." - jeanne

Titus said...

Love Rear Window too. Looking forward to the journey.
My respect to Carlos.

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Great slice...thanks for the misnomer.

Inky said...

awe love Jimmy and Grace, think this was rear window


loved when Jeff said, He killed a dog last night because the dog was scratching around in the garden. You know why? Because he had something buried in that garden that the dog scented.

LT Doyle says, Like an old hambone?
Jeff: I don't know what pet names Thorwald had for his wife.



Exellent work.. SMILES

subtorp77 said...

Fantastic likeness of Mr. Stewart! Too bad he couldn't hobble down the stairs, wot? Great balcony set-up, as well :)

Ande said...

I must find this film, it sounds fun. I love the expression on Jeffs face, it makes me laugh. :)

ArtSparker said...

Inky - What a great line, I think it eluded me.

Amy C said...

this is awesome (it could be one of my faves of yours), I love James Stewart, I saw him once when I was little, he was staying in our hotel and was a few dinner tables over, I thought it was the coolest thing ever, then I found a caterpillar in my salad!

Inky said...

Np Susan, lots of things elude MOI lol. Gosh I so love your creative MIND.. SMILES

Bee said...

I think you've entrapped us with voyeuristic pleasures in this one.

Ben J Hamilton said...

Yeah I like all the little photographs you've made with paper cut-outs. Keep it going!