Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lost Boys #1/Not the Nouvelle Vague

Lucy, with her sons Sam and Michael, moves to Santa Carla after her divorce to live with her eccentric father. On arriving, the first things they see are bizarrely carved wooden totems in his yard. The life of the town is on the Boardwalk, where younger son Sam meets the Frog brothers, who try to give him a horror comic which they insist is a "survival manual".

Well, I belonged to a film group a couple of years back which viewed extremely long circuitous French films from the sixties of people standing around talking. I fear I do not have the makings of an intellectual. I could watch this film every day, the script is a marvel of condensation and character revelation in each line, the ensemble cast is amazing, don't let me get started on the clothes...It is perfect in every detail. Link to the trailer if you want to know who you'll be seeing here.

The scary creature at top was shot at the cliff trail at San Francisco's Land's End, which closely resembles the film's Santa Carla (Santa Cruz) location. The second was shot at Dr. Comics and Mr. Games on Piedmont Avenue.

Edit: scroll up for more Lost boys

12 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

this ost is really funny and creative !!!
i like the detail of "the landscape" behind the characters .

subtorp77 said...

I like the top pic; looks like a dragon's head! And I must confess to never having watched "The Lost Boys", except in bits 'n pieces...

Jasmine said...

Ha ha! I love the lost boys, and Nouvelle Vague. I know they are mostly a covers and but I like their spin...

The comic picture is cool. My sister lives next door to a famous comic artist and has modeled for him at times. I think she posed as Judge Anderson for a Placebo album cover...

Jasmine said...

You can finally work the dead heads of the antique store into your lovely art...

The first picture is cool :)

I think you'd do a fabulous take on the works of Jim Jarmusch.

Megan said...

Great job on Haim's hair!

ArtSparker said...

Caio - Finding this horror comic as a background at the level I I was shooting the figures is not something I could have planned.

Subtorp - repeated viewings are recommended

Jasmine- Well, Down by Law would me the opportunity to do more Tom Waits (s)

Megan - Thank you, he does kind of look like his head's on fire in the film.

subtorp77 said...

Susan, I'll take that recommendation, thanks! My library should have a copy...possibly :)

Candace said...

I love the Totem there! and yes, it is a lot like that crazy old granddad (Bernard whatsis?) -- I have a copy of The Lost Boys. Great film, campy and creepy and wow, I know I will never make out in a car on the beach... just sayin' .
I really do enjoy this blog, Susan! I don't always leave a comment but hardly a day goes by that I don't check it out.

Take care.
Candace in Athens.

mum said...

When thinking of you, a non-intellectual lover of Wallace Stevens is exactly the description that springs to mind, Susan. :-)

by the way, I also loved the Mondrian dressing gown at 0:58 on the trailer.

Cheers from Graulhet

Rick said...

I fear I do not have the makings of an intellectual.

Don't be silly! Quote Sartre and Nietzsche extensively and be seen at pro-wrestling matches. All there is to it! ;-)

I haven't seen the movie for quite a few years (the "sequel" was an abomination), but I remember liking it quite a bit. It has a nice combo of hip/camp/Stephen King-ishness/vampire lore/etc. There's no doubt in my mind that it broke ground for Buffy, et alia.

ArtSparker said...

Candace - glad you are a fellow fan.

Mum - thanks for the close reading of the trailer.

Rick - thanks for the advice, and about Buffy, I believe Joss Whedon has said as much as relates to David and Spike.

Titus said...

The tree totem is a dream! Not a film I know, I can see I'll have to remedy that.