Thursday, January 21, 2010

Book

Go now, my little book, to every place
Where my first pilgrim has but shown his face

– John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

It's hard to send one's art out into the world...but there comes a time to be introduced to the public, ready or not. I realized I'm running this prompt the same day as Theme Thursdays, so I may change the day for it in future.

Some of the most exquisite poetry books I know have been written by Laynie Browne, here is a link to an excerpt from her Daily Sonnets

At Drobtinice, pages from an old children's book, a lucky find.

At l'astronave, a short study of the nuts and bolts part of the process.

At eyetrouble, a marvellous new invention for producing books and a sample excerpt from a most unusual novel

At Razored Zen, some helpful rules for those planning to write books (or shorter works)

At Jack and Buddha, scroll for online enlightenment from this virtual book

At Poet in Residence, a prize-winning book

At Stony River, help for those who aspire to make a book some day.

Steve Loya's splotch monsters book available here

21 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

DANG! I meant to join in too. Husband's birthday is today and my modem died yesterday -- my only excuses.

Love the picture, meanwhile!

ArtSparker said...

Susan - I put in a link, I think you provide a wonderful service with your links to publishing opportunities.

steve said...

Wow, thanks a ton for the links here Susan. It's funny, because I was actually reading a book about getting a book published yesterday. In the meantime, excellent drawing!

Eva said...

You have such a wonderful hatching technique, it reminds me of Maurice Sendak.

Anja said...

Hi, I just wrote a little post about books. Not my own book, because I'm still waiting for that one to be published, but old books - my weakness :o)
Thank you for giving me an excuse for writing about books again.

Poet in Residence said...

I don't know what happened. Cyberspace gremlins?

I was saying I'm a bargain hunter, a real bananboxbookfreak.

Long live books!

grrl + dog said...

now these links could keep me going all day...

ArtSparker said...

Grrrl - Heh, I know one of these folks is already known to you...

Titus said...

Love the illustration - words about to step onto the world's stage - and I so wanted to join in on this one but just too hectic a day. Anyhow, I have a lot of links to peruse at leisure, so thanks.

ArtSparker said...

Titus - living in hope re Valentine's Day, then - Your contributions are quite wonderful.

Tom said...

i've heard of book worms, but a book head?! whoa.

i like splotch monsters

Fresca said...

Thanks for this, Susan!
Your prompt truly prompted me to make a piece of art I wouldn't have otherwise.
How cool is that?

Of the making of books, there is no end.
I could take the theme of "book" and do something every day for a month. (Hey... there's an idea...)

Your book head reminds me of the Brussels sprout head--perhaps they are related?
A cabbage is a kind of book of leaves...

Cláudia said...

I enjoyed all the links!
Your drawing of an "anxious" book before the opening of the curtains gave me food for thought. Why we tend to feel we are never ready? What are we waiting for after all?
Great post, Susan!

Charles Gramlich said...

Thanks for linking to me. I'm going to check out some of the other links.

justdoodleit said...

Ah! Now, one can now find an appendix in the head too :)

Clowncar said...

That's my head.

I was planning to join in, but life (and a short story) got in the way.

ArtSparker said...

Clowncar - if it's the one I read on your blog, it was worth it.

aleph said...

great links, interesting indeed. the first one really caught me.

ArtSparker said...

Aleph - Laynie is sort of a post-modern emily Dickinson.

Clowncar said...

It was.

eyetrouble said...

I'm now inspired to go work on books...you always find such cool art stuff I might not ever have seen otherwise.