Monday, January 18, 2010

Steampunk in Berkeley

My friend Ariella and I headed out to Shipyard Labs yesterday, Ariella to get technical input for a game she's designing and I to see what was behind the mysterious gates passed many times over the years. Here you see genial Project Manager (and Master Carpenter) Shannon O'Hare describing the journey of the lovely Never Was Haul, a sort of ship/house on wheels, to Burning Man.
Shannon explains the operation of this gasifier, a prototype for a carbon-neutral source of heat and energy. See all power labs if you want to build your own. All Power labs is also working with Engineers Without Borders , among the international groups responding to the Haitian earthquake, to make carbon-neutral brick ovens which can be built in poor countries.

If you want to see more of this urban excursion, I've uploaded a set on flickr.

Edit: Just walked next door and placed the Engineers without Borders info in Carlos' Door. Heh, that will teach him to ask me questions.

15 comments:

eyetrouble said...

so cool! what a great, inspiring neighborhood.

ArtSparker said...

eyetrouble - This is a couple of miles away as the crow flies, but I have been wondering about it for years - it's right next to urban ore, which is a huge recycling center for all kinds of items, a place I have been to many times.

Jasmine said...

Some of friends went to a steampunk craft exhibition in Oxford on Saturday. I found out about it too late. There was a trailer link about it on F, I'll see if I can send it so you can compare.

Steve said...

That's a fabulous beard. I have facial hair envy.

ArtSparker said...

Jasmine - I love that the Steampunk devices at Shipyard Labs reflect development of alternative technologies in the sorry analogue world we (sometimes) live in.

The uses of fantasy...

ArtSparker said...

I understand they are a great aid to concentration.

And another thing about that film...

"Sherlock Homes Aides Police"?

Dude, I never missed not getting a good English education. What's Guy Ritchie's excuse?

Jasmine said...

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/steampunk/video-steampunk-at-the-museum/

My friend has posted lots of photos of her steampunk experience on FB. I've just emailed her to see if her settings allow friends of friends to see. If so, i'll post her album to my page for you to look through. (i think this must be one of the only redeeming features of FB).

Ginga Squid said...

Fascinating! 'Steampunk' seems to be quite the 'in' thing at the moment - in terms of jewellery at least.

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, interesting!
We just had the annual Young Scientist competition in Ireland, and a teenager won for designing a safe portable stove for people in developing countries and disaster situations. What a wonderful change from all the run-of-the-mill high school science experiments!

ArtSparker said...

Susan - I would be interested in putting this young Irish scientist in touch with Engineers without Borders. I'm going to look into it online, but if you read this comment, you can reply with any info you have.

ArtSparker said...

Susan - Nemmine, I have sent them the info. Wonderful interwebs!

Celeste Bergin said...

gadzooks-- a visual extravaganza!

Poet in Residence said...

Enjoyed that link to allpowerlabs.
I once heard of a farmer in Wales who collected and recycled used frying oil from McDonald's and used it as fuel for his tractor. Unfortunately the authorities found out and put a stop to it. Can't imagine why.

subby said...

Um flamethrower? I coulda used one of these when I was still able to compost. Pretty neat!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

great slide show... great excursion & what a striking character that shannon is