Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Joke About the Suit

I first heard this joke several decades ago as a teenager, recounted by a business associate of my father's who was having dinner with us. It made a vivid impression.

A man who is flush with cash decides to buy himself his first tailored suit and takes himself to a bespoke tailor, where he is carefully measured and picks out a beautiful tweed. A date is set for him to reappear to claim his beautiful new possession, and he presents himself at the assigned date. When he puts the suit on and looks in the mirror, he protests that one arm is too short, one leg seems to be twisted backwards, and the torso is bent to one side. The tailor reassures him, saying "just hunch your shoulder, bend to one side, and drag your leg behind you...it will look like the suit fits perfectly!" The guy does as instructed, and the suit looks pretty good. He pays and leaves. Dragging himself down the street he hears a guy say to his friend "Look at that poor crippled guy." His friend replies, "But doesn't he have a great tailor!"

Fight the suit, is I all I can say.

28 comments:

流浪汉 瑜伽 Yoga Tramp said...

happy new year n nice to meet u ;->

Ribbon said...

I like it ;)

Cláudia said...

Oh! To twist and bend to fit in a not suitable suit? Not a joke! I agree with you: we have to fight the suit (or we end up soulless).

I risk - again - to be repetitive: your posts amaze me, you have so many things inside you - like a cornucopia!

steve said...

Haha, looks like the suit won unfortunately. I like how you illustrated this btw!

Celeste Bergin said...

I love those vaudeville type jokes. Your illustration is totally clever--I had to come see what it was about..because the thumbnail on my blog captivated me.

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

That post and photo remind me of the old adage of "The Clothes Have No Emperor".

Totalfeckineejit said...

Fight the suit, resist the twist. Wouldn't mind a suit made out of the background material.Actually I would, I will not conform to the straight jacket of conformity, or in this case deformity. Power to the proletariat!! Or something. Mine's a pint. Pi pip Ipi!

ArtSparker said...

JT - That is a keeper, I hadn't heard it before.

Steve - my opinion, one gets up every day with the task of one's own tailoring to do - keeps life interesting.

ArtSparker said...

Cláudia - Thanks, it seemed like one you'd like.

TFE- I'm sure fighting the power is not a problem for you.

Kay said...

haha...to only be so compliant!

subby said...

LOL! I had not heard that one :)

Fresca said...

Good one! And have you heard the one about the Procrustean bed...?

ArtSparker said...

Fresca- the first time as myth, the second time as farce...

Steve said...

I burnt my tie long ago... ain't never looked back...!

Eva said...

This is one of my favourite jokes!

Ginga Squid said...

V funny - hadn't heard that one before!

bindu said...

That's a good one!

Kate Hanley said...

Hello, popped over here from another blog. I really liked not only the picture but the story. I'll be back!

tony said...

BRAVO! This Is The Modern World !

Tom said...

har. good illustration, too!

Smiler said...

Excellent joke, and well told (something I am incapable of, unfortunately). Funny how we're willing to bend into a million pieces to fit into ideas and situations we'd be better off without to begin with. Also kind of sad. But it's a good reminder to question whether we really want the suit to begin with, and if we do, to make sure we find a good tailor who'll give us what we really need!

The Crow said...

Good joke, new to me. Love the suit illustration, too!

:)

Lorie McCown said...

well, I was a suit for a while, and funny enough, it was my highest paying job ever! i was not sad to leave it or the money when my son was born. i do like tweed though :D.. blessings for the new year to you.

Poet in Residence said...

Measure for measure.

California Girl said...

LOL

lisa bebi said...

ohhahahha!

Dream Painter said...

wow, I love this so much! A suit with a gesture, awesome and creative!

rosedale's 4head said...

i like this!!!