Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day from a foreign correspondent



These playing card collages were made and distributed at the Sugar Loaf Mountain complex in (near?) Rio by Cláudia, who does not have a blog. What Cláudia had to say the process of making these and letting go of them:

I got attached to the cards I manipulated! So attached that I considered taking pictures of them and simply collect them all at the end and bring my babies back home again, with "mummy". God! It's a challenge to let go of things that we have carefully created . I was ashamed to be so selfish, so childish!

Then, it happened: I finally made up my mind to leave some of the cards and stepped back to observe people's reaction to them. And people were stopping to see my gifts! They didn't take them, but those "alien" objects did awake interest, curiosity and amazement. That was enough for me - I felt really rewarded and just walked away happy to have been able to create opportunities to make people stop and wonder.

Those of us who work in the arts will recognize this feeling. Bungy32 also wrote a beautiful ( and somewhat startling) post to go with the valentine he made and placed, and there is magnificent trio at Titus the Dog. Jasmine has plans for bringing an early Spring with her contribution at Nature's Whispers.Wind beneath my occasionally draggled wings - I love you guys!

Unrelated to cards, I just saw these lovely images on Resurrection Fern - If I have to pick one, it would be the mushroom/jellyfish/heart at the bottom, I love a multiple nature. More delight on Three Little Cameras. Also I posted on from Shakespeare on my other blog, TinyTheatre.

20 comments:

Fresca said...

These are absolutley wonderful--and Bungy's too!
I love the ribbons that attach the cards to ...greenery. The greenery is weird to see, here in the north everything is still black and white and blue.

I have plans for my playing card too, but haven't made it yet--I figure I have until midnight today!

Bungy32 said...

All of these are wonderful, but I am quite taken with the Five of Hearts. And kudos to you for having the courage to let it go. "Letting go" is an important part of this project, I think.

subby said...

I'm imagining a poker game where all the cards are like the 5~hearts here; staring back at the player...most excellent, this :)

ArtSparker said...

Bungy - It's not I, but Cláudia who made these and released them into the wild.

Coffee Messiah said...

Great idea and, am

Sorry I seemed to have missed this one.

Cheers 2 U!

ArtSparker said...

CM - Yes, I always really like your contributions, so I'm sorry too and will just have to think about one for the future. Might give you a noodge!

Karin på FOX said...

A wonderful idea, this challenge. It tured out very well. Congratulations!

jenclair said...

Almost everyone loves to find treasures! And the finding of them almost makes it seem as if they were created specifically for you. I would have loved to have discovered any of these cards and to have marveled at them.

Rick said...

It is always such a pleasure to stop by here, like I've walked to the same neighborhood and found out that all the stores have been changed to even more interesting shops! Loved the cards and the commentary.

ArtSparker said...

jenclair- Well, I'm hoping it spreads, the idea of surprising strangers in this way.

Rick - thank you, I always hope to inspire visitors here.

Titus said...

Wow to Claudia's works, but an even bigger wow to finally deciding to leave some, and then observing the reaction. Hooray for "stop and wonder": the way the world should be.
I am particularly enamoured of the Ten of Hearts: reach for the skies.

Tammie Lee said...

ah, these are fun. it can be hard to let go of things! A wonderful sense of freedom rises when we do let go.

California Girl said...

Happy V Day Susan!

Jasmine said...

Happy Valentine Susan,

Claudia's cards are so pretty. Thank you Susan for suggesting such a fun theme and sending collage bits. I am afraid I am a little late as was surprised by a weekend of babysitters so I had to escape to London. I started work on your collage as soon as i got back this evening and will decorate a tree with them tomorrow and post pictures. Monday love is a good way to start the week, right? x

Totalfeckineejit said...

You've done some lovely work here Claudia, my favourite is the ten of hearts I love the perspective of us looking from behind the girl looking at the moon and stars.No better view!
It's understandable that you didn't want to let go of your babies, but the unexpected pleasure they will give to others makes it a bit easier.

ArtSparker said...

Thanks, Jasmine - I will post your link as it comes in -

Celeste Bergin said...

I certainly can relate to wanting to keep pretty things--and then finding joy in letting them go off into the world. Once I was the recipient of one of these types of things--and it was wonderful! Great idea. Happy Valentine's Day, Susan!

Cláudia said...

Susan,

What a surprise to come here and find my cards in one of your posts! I have to thank you once more for the opportunity to create something and let it out for the world. It was a process that brought me precious insights! Most importantly - it was fun!

I thank you all for the lovely comments about my cards. I am not an artist at all, but it is good to spend a day pretending to be one!

Now it's time to visit the other links - "worlds within worlds".

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Like prayer ties...left to be found, appreciated.. -Jayne

grrl + dog said...

Its lovely to read the story of letting go..

to enjoy the bigger gift of people's reactions.