Saturday, February 13, 2010

Velvet Fever (Guest Poets)

Every year poet Laynie Browne sends out a Valentine poem composed by her sons Benjamin and Jacob Davidson (now 10 and 8 years old respectively). I thought this year's was wonderfully Gothic.

Velvet Fever

My ice is rattling like rice bones
The star of pey
The kale was a cake and it was frozen
My homework folder got the Velvet Fever
By eating evil snowmen and kissing bunny Bunkin's nose
But Bunkin never got fluff or fever

Velvet Fever reaction:
Your hair turns into razor blades
Your pencils turn into cheese when you touch them
Your hands and feet turn into empty velvet husks
Fluffily scales appear on your eyelids
Your eyes turn into green marbles
Your voice little like a pea
The taste in your mouth is grape lemonade grasshoppers
When you close your eyes you see a labyrinth
You fall into a pool of velvet sleep

The cure the Velvet Fever:
For three weeks take out your potion
Only under moonlight

To make a potion
Brew three hours:
Liquid book
apple husks
phoenix tears
pickle juice
itchy bottle tops

Pour into a glass of midnight
It looks like a pitch black frog
Take 3 drops per day until healed

Then go to the Velvet Theater and watch a show.




It's all in the transformation, isn't it? I don't know about you, but I seem to need reminding.

15 comments:

ger said...

Talented folks - gifted with long breath, too, very essential thing for poets I guess (me: voice little like a pea - for it´s silent saturday...)

ArtSparker said...

Ger - I'd love to be a fly on the wall while Laynie serves as amanuensis.

femminismo said...

I love this poem. Thank you for posting it. (that bunny looks a little evil)

ArtSparker said...

f- Maybe sociopathic as opposed to evil, that is, it has no intent to do harm, it is simply without conscience. Same effect on the one who kisses it, of course.

Ginga Squid said...

I like it - to me it also seems to reference all the snow over there and Harry Potter!
Love those green beads/marbles/candy/pills!

ArtSparker said...

Ginga- It's so interesting to me what we bring to the experience. To me, it's completely about the rational brain (homework folder) being taken over by obsession (Velvet fever) which then proceeds to leave ruin in its wake until it is transformed into art. It's a very good poem, a brimming vessel with coruscating content.

tony said...

Bravo !I raise My Very Glass Of Midnight To Toast The Poet!

Deb G said...

Gosh, I'd better hope for three weeks of clear weather so that the potion can come out under moonlight. This is a wonderful poem....

grrl + dog said...

a real stream of conciousness, and the image goes well too.

Celeste Bergin said...

well, there are some imaginative youngsters. You're an imaginative youngster too, Artspark...I sense that. Your little cropped goblin in the corner is an impish type.

rosedale's 4head said...

Big smiles....lovelovelove 'rice bones' - nice. She's a fortunate mama! Made my Valentine's Day!

yvette said...

stunned...what imagination!

love
yvette

Titus said...

Oh, how good is that!

I shall be searching for a glass of midnight for the rest of my life. And something that tastes of grape lemonade grasshoppers.

Congratulations to Laynie and those boys. I love the idea of this as a Valentine's poem - it is all in the transformation.

Tom said...

these kids must be something out of a horror movie. Like the little kids who appear down dark hallways holding hands, or in mirrors. They are just a little scary.

I love it!

Jenny Woolf said...

What amazing and wonderful words. How lucky these children are to have the opportunity to develop them. Because kids need someone to make space in their lives for such things to grow.