Sunday, February 28, 2010

Work in Progress

I think I have most of the writing done. I have been rereading Robert Polhemus' wonderful take on Through the Looking Glass in his book Comic Faith (its title comes from his contention that humor is redemptive, and that laughter can awaken us). Anyway, here's what I have now for the first section:

Both stories begin with pursuit, the dreaming mind chasing a rabbit in one, passing through the mirror of quotidian reality in another. The door out opens through language, both a prison and the key to escape. Carroll states his intent in the preface to Through the Looking Glass:

These magic words shall hold thee fast

I'll have a little intro to each section in prose, but will mostly let the pictures speak for themselves, with brief quotes from Lewis Carroll. I may post one or two more of the intros here, but will mostly reserve them for the book.

12 comments:

Titus said...

Love that cat, especially the tin can eye.
Hold thee fast indeed.

ArtSparker said...

He fixes you with his gaze...

Needle Woven Studio said...

Absolutely splendid!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Kool Kat!
Ps I gotta get me a mirror of quotidian reality... so I can break it!

Celeste Bergin said...

this cat drawing on the concrete is outrageous! I love it...soooooooo inventive.

Lorenzo said...

Looking forward to seeing more

Joei Rhode Island said...

So fun to see you take Alice and her 'friends' to various places. What a delight it is to visit here.

California Girl said...

too clever ;)

Fiona said...

I just love that cat. What a grin.

The Crow said...

Your Cheshire is the best, slightly menacing and pirate-y. So cool.

Cláudia said...

I heard once that hidden in the text of words there are some crevices where you can find something almost magical, something that allows you (for just a moment) to get a little closer to what we call "meaning". It's sort of a glimpse, no more that this. You may be well say "Dazlious" if you ever manage to see that...

I see a huge fracture in your cat's face!

Jasmine said...

I like this. It always makes me smile when i see things drawn onto a pavement or a simple stencil on a wall...

You have een busy, so many posts! I love your silhouettes above.