Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sinister developments


It's growing wings*. Would any of my blogging friends of a less cowardly disposition (preferably on another continent) care to trade domiciles with me until it's hatched and flown away?

*An alternative explanation is that it has ingested a small bird and is doing some highly unnatural recombinant DNA thing. This is, of course, no more reassuring than the first explanation. Are Cheney's idle hands involved?
.................................................................................................
Another fungus is the Tomentella, which sheds its spores on the jungle floor, as documented in in the exhibits of the wonderful Museum of Jurassic Technology. The spore may be inhaled by a stink ant, which is inspired (the root meaning of inspired is to breathe in) to climb a nearby tree. Its central nervous system inhabited by the fungus, it sinks its mandibles into a convenient leaf,  and waits to complete the cycle. See the Museum's site for the details.
...................................................................................................
Finally, here is a potentially useful badge for assigning blame. The economy? Blame the fungus.
Any resemblance to a recent vice president (vice!) is entirely intentional.

13 comments:

Diane said...

I have to admit...it does look a little creepy.

Eva said...

"flown away" There was this beautiful song, "come flow away..." or so, wasn't it?

Son of Incogneato said...

Well this explains just about everything. I have clearly inhaled some variety of fungal spores and they are wreaking havoc in my brain. What a relief. I long suspected as much, but no one will believe me. In light of this newly accrued info I am going to snap up your banner and glue it into my site. You might consider another banner: Beware The Fungus Among Us. Yes, especially you, what with your new found friend transmogrifying into something from a 50’s monster movie right outside your window.
I wonder if my blog has also inhaled something mysterious, as it is refusing to post images. You know what they say about spores – they are everywhere . . .

Btw - Ants do not have noses. Nor lungs. How do they inhale things, I wonder.

notmassproduced said...

how weird. i'm going to blame the fungus for evrything from now on.

R. Nemo said...

Seems like there are little white arms or legs sprouting near the base as well. (Or else it's just a sort of slow motion atomic fungus device, a mushroom cloud unfolding). Better yet you might want to act on your original descriptive impulse--dig it up at midnight, hop a train to Providence Rhode Island, and transplant it to Lovecraft's grave. Be careful, and leave a journal (one that ends in speechless terror) for subsequent discovery and publication.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

wow, I certainly learned a lot of interesting trivia!

stink ants, who'd have known?

ArtSparker said...

Nemo...I have a firend in Providence...M., if you;re reading this, would you consider an elder god as a pet?

Balou said...

That's a bit sinister looking! Maybe it's slowly making it's ascent up the wall. I'd be worried about keeping any windows that are above it closed.

jude said...

ick.

lukebenoy said...

is it leaking on your apartment? as far as lovecarft is concerned, i would not doubt that the leakage is much more sinister than the mushroom itself. :O

ArtSparker said...

Good "Color out of Space" catch, Lukebenoy.

Avid Reader said...

I blame the fungus too.

grrl+dog said...

I feel a very strong compulsion to cross my legs.....