Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hamlet in China


Here are components of Hamlet's costume and the actor being fitted . I took some photos with a black ruff around the neck and he wasn't working as Hamlet, so I decided he needed a more complete (less lazy) costume to work in the part . I looked on the web for toy theatres today, and found some quite wonderful things:

A video from Naomi Guss in Melbourne on how to make a toy theatre (parents - something to do on Spring break in the event of rain!).

A post about a toy theatre from a theatre director at Enchanted Revelry (Piaf advisory). A very upbeat blog, with sensibility to spare.

This remarkable work at Mike Healey's Artstore and Gallery (he takes commissions)

It is my intention to make a small printable theatre to download to promote this venture, but for now, I'd better get stitching. 

9 comments:

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

He looks huge!!!! Very cool.

notmassproduced said...

oooh so sweet

Jocelyn said...

I'm just coming off an enthusiastic viewing of the Canadian tv series SLINGS & ARROWS, all about things Shakespeare, in particular Hamlet, so this was an appropos post. Wonderful mixture of textures in that first photo!

grrl+dog said...

See, I just love your china assemblage dolls.. they are sooo quirky.

Rick said...

But... Hamlet looks like a girl! What will children who see this think? And "Hamlet in China"? The sexual overtones are simply shocking! I may have to flag this blog...
;-)

Eva said...

This is a great pun on words! Very funny, especially at first glance.
Sorry, I did not understand your last sentence in the comment you wrote on my sale...

ArtSparker said...

Rick - to read Venus in Furs" into "Hamlet in China" requires a truly perverse imagination.

get zapped said...

How clever, I can't wait to see the play :P

Tessa said...

An object d'art in the true sense of the word. I am enamoured!