Friday, January 30, 2009

Flawed/Hamlet/nutty goodness

I could be bounded in a nutshell, 
And count myself a king of infinite space,
Were it not that I have bad dreams
                        -Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Hamlet's tragic flaw was indecisiveness, AKA think-too-much-itis. We are all "bounded in a nutshell", our bony skulls, of course, within which our brains give us access to a hundred visions and revisions, in fact to infinite Heavens and Hells. The old wives said that walnuts were good for brain health - they had to be, because they looked so much like tiny brains. Scientists now tell us that walnuts have anitoxidants and omega 3 fatty acids, and are in fact good for your brain. 
         I recommend toasting them under a broiler at 400 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes. Don't walk away and burn them as I do...I have a touch of Hamlet's problem myself, and could be a bit more present.