Friday, January 30, 2009

Flawed/Hamlet/nutty goodness

I could be bounded in a nutshell, 
And count myself a king of infinite space,
Were it not that I have bad dreams
                        -Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Hamlet's tragic flaw was indecisiveness, AKA think-too-much-itis. We are all "bounded in a nutshell", our bony skulls, of course, within which our brains give us access to a hundred visions and revisions, in fact to infinite Heavens and Hells. The old wives said that walnuts were good for brain health - they had to be, because they looked so much like tiny brains. Scientists now tell us that walnuts have anitoxidants and omega 3 fatty acids, and are in fact good for your brain. 
         I recommend toasting them under a broiler at 400 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes. Don't walk away and burn them as I do...I have a touch of Hamlet's problem myself, and could be a bit more present.

19 comments:

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Very fine work!

mikefacey said...

Good stuff!! As for Hamlet....Alas I too suffer from the over-thinker's malady!

j. said...

i really like this.
i like the juxtaposition of themes.

i actually have never read hamlet..
i've read romeo and juliet and most of macbeth.
are you a big shakspeare fan?
although i'm not a shakspeare fan, i do absolutely love to read.
what are some of your favourite books??!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I never really thought about it, but they do look a bit like brains, don't they?

Indrani said...

Good pictorial representation of the quote. I have heard and read about the food value of walnuts, we have them raw. Must try out the toasted way.

joseph's art and stuff said...

great post!

herhimnbryn said...

Oh, I do like this and your words to go with it.

lettuce said...

i could certainly do with getting out of my head at the moment....

i love the illustration

(also reminded me of that fairy story where yards and yards of cloth come out of magic walnuts...)

Bella Sinclair said...

This is exactly why I never did very well on multiple-choice tests. Darn those things.

Fantastic illustration!!! Love the composition.

Eva said...

Great picture. Very interesting technique, looks like some hand printing thing.

ThomasLB said...

I don't over-think stuff. At least I don't think I do. Maybe I do. I don't know.

Tomás Serrano said...

Excellent drawing! And I liked your words.

steve said...

This is really beautiful! Wow. Love your last IF piece as well.

I am a said...

taking a graduate course in Shakespeare this summer...this is a nice beginning...well done, great artwork, great post...as usual

I am a said...

@ThomasLB - :J

Wildeve said...

I can identify! I love your pictures, too.

INDIGENE said...

Wonderfully different and I like the graphic quality of it!

Nicola said...

Brilliant. I love it all; truly a multi-dimensional piece/post.

eyetrouble said...

I really enjoy the style of this piece (and of all your other work). The idea's great, too.