Thursday, January 22, 2009

Heaven/The Youth Vote

Above is a photo of a painting by the graffiti artist The Mesngr or Lord Mesngr, of San Jose (The people at Manifesto Bikes weren't completely clear). It brought to mind the old Talkings Heads song Heaven. In Heaven, according to Mr. Byrne, "They play all my favorite bands". Which brings me to my request - I've noticed that a lot of people who've stopped by since the Blog of Note thing are young - me, I'm of an older generation. So, my friends: I like linking songs - they don't all HAVE to be from the 60's and 80's - I would be grateful if any of you would leave contemporaryish song names OR youtube links to a couple of things you like in the comments. If I can link them thematically with a particular post, or even put a few of them together as a narrative, I will do so at some point in the future. If I use a song you've suggested, I will link to your blog in the post - and I'll make an effort to let you know ahead of time when I've done so. Thrash metal, country and very abstract stuff are probably not going to work so well for purposes of this blog (no judgement, just saying).*

Above is a photo of Manifesto Bikes, which seems to be a center for social unrest of the best kind. And, as they make it clear on their website, they're not snobs. on 40th Street in Oakland (AKA the Navel of the World).

*Edit: Songs not in English most definitely okay.

6 comments:

Squirrel said...

Unrest of the Best Kind !

grrl+dog said...

Ooh! A soundtrack... love doing that. Brings to mind th eold "mixed tape" as homage to a friend.

parisa mahmoudi said...

Linking songs!What a beautiful idea!!!You can count on me,I will email you some fantastic Iranian songs. :)

Diane said...

Here's a clip from a fantastic French reggea dub band. Since my husband turned me on to them, I cant get enough! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYrW0Sa2Nec&feature=related

j. said...

i can send you a mixtape or cd of my favourite songs if you would like.

Feltbug said...

Hello! Current faves on my cd player are Fleet Foxes, Noah and the Whale, Rachel Unthank and the Winterset.