Saturday, January 3, 2009

Son of a Gun

When I was in college, the equestrian stature of Bartolomeo Colleoni in my art history book made a great impression.  On finishing the above, I realized I had drawn a descendant of the statue, whose sculptor appears to have heartily disliked his subject. I believe this statue was also kept in mind when I saw the Werner Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God by the remarkable resemblance of Klaus Kinski (in a typically unhinged performance) to the Venetian statue. Western Civilization - it begins in bronze and ends in pastiche. Th...Th...That's all, Folks.

Edit: Massive rant tomorrow. More art on Tuesday.

11 comments:

steve said...

Beautiful work and intriguing story! I really like this style of your too.

Rick said...

Hello Susan, Forgive my boldness but I am doing a bit of blog surfing to invite people over to my blog to sign up for my giveaway I have going on. This isn't some kind of gimmick. It's just my way of celebrating two years of blogging. I am giving away a free caricature drawn by me. I'd be honored if you took the time to check it out.

Woman in a Window said...

Maybe we expect too much of art sometimes. My eight year old daughter remarked tonight upon seeing the statue of David, "Oh, his privates look like a chicken gobble." Now what do you think Mich. meant by that?

parisa mahmoudi said...

This is so fantastic,I really like the contrast between his face and the hat!your style is great!

get zapped said...

Stunning piece. Love solo note.

HapPY NeW YeaR!

Squirrel said...

what Steve said...beautiful and intriguing.

Schanett said...

great bird!!!

would fit on our blog as well:
vogelschar.blogspot.com...

thanks for your comment and the link!!

Schanett said...

the intro on www.mofo.net.au is absolutely lovely!

Eric Barclay said...

I can just picture in my head a story about a little Napoleonic crow barking out orders.


Beautiful image and commentary. Every time I come to your blog I see at least 5 things I want to comment on because your work is just so wonderful. I hope 2009 brings you much happiness!

ALkazem said...

woooow nice work
it's so beautiful...
i like it
good luck & thanx for visit
^^

Robert Robillard said...

nice style. Congrats!