Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dark Passage #3

This photo was taken at the foot of the Filbert Street steps. The frame is meant to dsuggest the view of the Bay one would have from Irene's apartment. 

After Vincent (Bogart) collapses after ringing her door buzzer, she hoists him into the elevator and onto a couch in her apartment. He revives to find her facing him, impeccably groomed. "You were no featherweight" she tells him. Thing is, you pretty much believe in her superpowers - she is just so magnificently poised. She proceeds to bring him breakfast in bed for two weeks before removing his bandages. 

Question: Why do women even bother to have hair after Bacall?

A word on the process: it's much easier to get a resemblance with people I like - Bacall was relatively easy to draw, while Tippi Hedren, who seems sort of absent to me, I drew over and over and never quite nailed it. Tom Waits, the absolute easiest.

9 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

i loved the colours of this so much !!!!i don't remember to have seem this movie , so i don't make any relation with the scene in particular . this image is serene , calm and beaultiful for my eyes .

California Girl said...

Your Bacall caricature is really well done. Her features were so angular and exaggerated. She must have been fun to draw.

ArtSparker said...

Thank you, Caio. Bacall is the most serene looking person. Honestly, I wish I felt the way she looks. Sigh.

CG - Oh, you reminded me of something. I think I need to do an edit.

Titus said...

The cut of the clothes!
And Bacall had glamour very young, which is, I think, unusual.

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

she does have perfect hair!

Celeste Maia said...

Your Bacall is for me Alice coming through the looking glass.

(I also dont remember this movie, but your version of it is enough. If I ever see this movie I will be thinking of your version instead.)

notmassproduced said...

i think this is one of my favourites

Tammie Lee said...

You have captured her elegance~

Spirithelpers

Smiler said...

Well you did a beautiful Bacall. Question: whatever happened to poise?

word verif: suebarin