Monday, July 13, 2009

Not Michael Jackson!

Why do sad songs make us happy? Although now I can never listen to a ballad like this without thinking of the protagonist of "About a Boy", driving around in his expensive car listening to songs on the radio and "wallowing in unearned emotion". Downtown Train, it's a great song anyway. And I like that Kabuki monkey dance he does . This post is dedicated to Yvette.

Oh, also , Tom Waits is supposed to play the Devil in a new Terry Gilliam film - if, of course, the Gilliam curse is resolved to the point it actually gets made. He seems more like a teddy bear than a devil to me, though.

13 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

i love donwtonw train . and this post is raly funny .
the side walk behind hin is very cool . but the drawing is great , i can dance with him .

Chris David Richards said...

Ah, the gravelly tones of Tom Waits. He looks particuarly gravelly here. Whatever that means.

notmassproduced said...

wow - u've been busy today. great stuff.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

so true about sad songs.....

Jasmine said...

Tom Waits is one of my favourite artists. My first daughter (Naomi) was born at home and arrived to the sound of Tom Waits the early years, vol 1&2.

Coffee Messiah said...

Oh yes, Tom Waits on the street ; )

michael robertson said...

wonderful image...and how great is that bar sign?!

bindu said...

I don't know the songs you mention, but I do like to listen to some sad songs. I like your little man too!

femminismo said...

Love Tom Waits, but teddy bear? Hmm. I'll have to think about that one. Your drawing is outrageously great and the bar sign - you must have checked out your location possibilities for weeks. Well, hours, anyway. I hope you are laying down something nice and soft on those sidewalks! Good job, girl.

yvette said...

Thank you so much for naming me here. what you say about sad songs......so true!
I'm listening Tom Waits now!
knuf
yvette

jude said...

i suppose this concept can hold true for some of those happy songs...
teddy bear indeed.

justdoodleit said...

Again, you stage your pictures so well and find amusing details-like that bar sign!

Burt said...

Nooooooo @ Gilliam curse!